Good prop question

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 24ft deck boat 150 ox66 planes out instantly just stays flat and goes i guess because how long my boat is, now im running 5400 rpm and doing low 30s so would it be worth going up 4 on pitch to gain speed loose rpm but i think i will still plane well and maybe save mpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No, there is no such thing as lugging the motor and saving fuel.

you want to save fuel, back off the RPM and go slower, or get a set of oars and start rowing, or put up a sail and catch some wind.

your fuel consumption will go up, and you will end up killing the motor

you are currently prop'd correctly in the middle of the WOT window, even a bit on the low side. I would drop down in pitch myself to get up to about 5600 RPM

now, changing blade style may help, however not adding any pitch, much less 4" of pitch. that will simply kill your motor

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could understand what you said if my boat was running slugish now . i have to much torque planing to easy and low mph! With that said everything you read about max rpms is running it at the high end will kill your engine running at the low end equils longevity but that was your 2 cents and this is mine

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I could understand what you said if my boat was running slugish now . i have to much torque planing to easy and low mph! With that said everything you read about max rpms is running it at the high end will kill your engine running at the low end equils longevity but that was your 2 cents and this is mine

Why did you ask for opinions? You had your mind made up. My 2 pennies.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
With that said everything you read about max rpms is running it at the high end will kill your engine running at the low end equils longevity but that was your 2 cents and this is mine
Never heard of such a thing. Two strokes are made to be run....

What is your source of information?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know if you have driven a manual trans before, but think of it like driving up hill in 4th gear (4 speed trans) and only doing 30 mph. The motor might do it but its going to be lugging and burning more fuel. Take the same hill and speed, and trans is in 2nd it burns less gas.

A boat motor is always under heavy load. So if its propped correctly then it can reach max WOT. This means that at lower speed its running the most efficient. A motor at a given speed can burn less fuel at 3500 rpm when propped correctly, then at 2500 if over propped.

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you alldodge thats what i didn't understand is how lowering rpms makes it work harder i guess the go buy oars and a sail got to me

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If a 24 ft deck boat is planing out instantly, with, what is that, a 150?, and is topping out at 5400 rpm, I would be checking the Tach for accuracy. Granted your idea of"planes out instantly" and mine might differ