Good one to troubleshoot

tjkprop

Cadet
99 Regal 2100 LSR, 4.3 Merc 2bbl carb 190 HP electric fuel pump <br /><br />Last weekend, I was running the river when the engine hiccupped and then was fine. Then, 20 minutes later it died. Cranked fine but would not stay running. I believed it was a fuel issue so I had by passed the oil pressure switch. Ruled that out. Thought it could be the fuel pump but today it again died on the river and would not restart.<br />I anchored as to stay out of the channel and began to troubleshoot the intermittent problem.<br />What I noticed was immediately was that when I turned the ignition switch to the run position, the engine alarm did not sound (not normal). The gauges did work though. When I turned the key to the start position, the engine alarm sounded (normal) and the motor started. When I released the key from start to the run position, it died. I waited awhile, tried it again and it started right up. <br />I shut it off and then tuned the key to the run position and the engine alarm went on, so I knew it would start again. <br />I now believe the problem could be in the ignition switch or the safety run/stop switch (on the throttle panel) as when you move the kill switch to “stop” the alarm does not sound if you have the key in the run position. Is there anything else in this circuit that would cause these symptoms? (besides the oil pressure switch)Again, I could run for hours then this situation crops up. It’s starting to get on my nerves and keep me boating very close to the shoreline.<br />Looks as if it’s my year for boat problems.<br />Thanks for your input.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Good one to troubleshoot

I think you are on the right track, sounds like an electrical problem, the oil pressure switch should just kill your fuel pump, could be the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch in the remote control, the kill switch or even the shift interupt switch which grounds out the coil.

Bondo

Staff member

Or,<br />Just a Loose Wire,<br />SomeWhere In Between All Those Switches.................. ;)

buddyx1

Cadet

I had something similar happen to me, it was just a lose spade connector from the ignition to the fuse block. Let us know what you find out and good luck.