Good News About Hurricanes

GradyBob

Cadet
Greetings:<br />I have only been on this board for a little more than a year and I really don't post much. I am a native Floridian and am 37 years old. All my life here in Florida the weather gurus kept warning us of the big one - as in the big Hurricane. This August and September have been wild. We have had a ton of rain prior to Charley and Frances.<br /><br />The central Florida area has now experienced hurricane force winds twice in 3 weeks and we are bracing for Ivan early next week. We have been told things like this are cyclical and I guess we are getting our share of hurricanes after so many years without one in our area. You have to go back to the early 1900s to see so many strikes in our part of the state.<br /><br />The good news is this. We are meeting our neighbors here in Central Florida many for the first time. We are helping each other out and lending hands to people across the tracks and in communities that we would not set foot in.<br /><br />My wife and I sheltered a total of 15 people including 4 of our seniors 75 & over in our home during Frances for 5 days. The winds can blow, property destroyed, but it seems that the more we take in hits, the more our community grows in spirit. It is ashame that it takes a hurricane to blow our walls down to be able meet one another and reach out to our neighbors, but it is the silver linning in the clouds.<br /><br />As for Ivan, well if it comes, it comes and we will be part of weather history. Either way, we will come out of it for the better I think.<br />Keep safe

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good News About Hurricanes

Hi, Bob.<br /><br />Yep. There's a silver lining in those clouds.<br /><br />Congratulations on being enough of an optimist to see it. :)

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is a shame that it takes a hurricane to blow our walls down to be able meet one another and reach out to our neighbors, but it is the silver lining in the clouds.<br />
And that's what's so great about this country... Americans helping fellow Americans in their time of need.<br />I feel there's a special place in Heaven for people like you, GradyBob. You are truly living the commandment, "Love your neighbors as you love yourself."<br />Take care, and God Bless!

phatmanmike

Captain

bob, ive lived here in tampa area for 30 years, and im only 30 years young !!! i aint gong nowhere. <br /><br />i was here for andrew<br />i was here for elana<br />i was here for charley<br />i was here for frances<br />and im SURE AS H#LL GONNA BE HERE FOR IVAN<br /><br />and many more. like i said in the other post, i AINT gong nowhere<br /><br />mike

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Good post, GradyBob. Like you, I met many of my neighbors for the first time during Hurricane Frederic when we all shared cookouts to keep the food in our freezers from spoiling. I was surprised at how loud the neighborhood was when the power came back on after two weeks and all the A/C's, stereos, TV's came back on. Not to mention how deserted the street seemed with everyone inside.. A hurricane can be a positive experience.