good morning :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
boating is one of the most expensive hobbies that there is. owning race horses is slightly more expensive.
Only slightly?

As a long time horse (x5) and boat owner, I can vouch there is no comparison between the two……lol

Used as justification for my high end fishing tackle fetish with Mrs. Dingbat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Only slightly?

As a long time horse (x5) and boat owner, I can vouch there is no comparison between the two……lol

Used as justification for my high end fishing tackle fetish with Mrs. Dingbat.
Whenever I wanted to buy a new boat or even make a frivolous new gun purchase, the wife never complained. I knew she had 3 horses, so I figured it's only fair. Then, I found out she really had seven. Now it all became clearer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
boat maintenance X house maintenance X 10 = houseboat maintenance.
But then again, what IS a houseboat.

In my neighborhood houseboats are large hulled "cruisers" with twin I/O's that are moored at a dock. They actually "drive" them twice a year - once to the mooring and once back to the hoist to put them on the hard for the Winter.

Conversely, "houseboats" to some are simply a big steel barge that has a house built on top. They are chained to a pier and people live in them full time. Think Sausalito, CA.

Maybe the OP needs to clarify whether he wants a recreational boat or a house to live in on the water.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agreed, there are a variety of styles of house boats

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
good morning guys, how is everyone doing today? how often do you guys keep up with the maintence of your boats? and also what is the hardest thing to keep up with ?
I have a 24' 2006 pontoon boat. Purchased around 2017.
Probably the most consistent maintenance issue is/was keeping the seats and carpet clean and mildew free through the operating season.
I say was because I just had all the upholstery redone with top grade marine vinyl and a new custom cover which I hope reduces the maintenance time.
emphasis "hope".
I now have minimal, normal maintenance on the motor performed by me at the beginning and end of the season, mostly end. The boat is pretty much set up now. I do perform a leak check at the beginning and end of the season. Simple for me to do. I have had two welds develope small cracks so it's something I monitor.

Buying used is another thing, at least for me.
It took a few years to get the boat, motor, AND trailer up to snuff. Especially the trailer!

Bondo

Staff member
boat maintenance X house maintenance X 10 = houseboat maintenance.
Ayuh,.... Plus a place to dock during the season, 'n storage in the off-season,.....

If I hadn't had my own mooring slip, 'n a killer deal with the marina acrost the river 100 yards away, I wouldn't have owned mine as long as I did,.....