Good metal to glass adhesive

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm having a slight problem with some windows on the boat, which slide down to open, and up to close. To close the window, there's a metal piece that straddles the top of the glass, with a lip on the inside that you use to pull up the window. The problem is, many of these pieces simply pop off when any pressure is applied, making the window much more difficult to close. It appears in the past some kind of rubber piece was put under the metal, and the whole business held together by some kind of adhesive, which is worn out. What would be a good adhesive to use that would re-stick the metal pieces to the glass (or rubber on those windows swill with a rubber piece). I want something strong enough that if I put a stick against the lip to keep the window from being opened from the outside, a potential burglar couldnt just pull the window out from under the metal piece and get in just the same. Thanks for any help!

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Good metal to glass adhesive

JB weld. That or another kind of 2 part epoxy will give you the strongest bond.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

How about the stuff they use to glue rear view mirrors to the windshield?....JK

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Exactly, rear view mirror adhesive, available at auto parts stores.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow rear view mirror adhesive would be very costly.<br /><br />Go to an glass store (installer for cars) and ask about the adhesive they use on car windows. Some are 2 part epoxy but most are a sealant.<br /><br />An additional alternative is 3m moulding mounting tape for car moldings.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clear silicone may do the trick. Clean the surfaces with acetone or some other solvent first.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Super glue.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good morning Warden (man, I never thought I would say that).<br /><br />I think I know what you are talking about. Car door windows use the same process for fastening the window to the bracket that will raise and lower them.<br /><br />A glass shop should know what you need. The piece of rubber liner works as the adhesive. Before your metal clip is slid over the rubber, the rubber piece is stretched tight over the edge of the glass and then the clip slid over it. When the rubber is released and tries to shrink back to its normal thickness, it swells up between the metal clip and glass. I think even some glass shower door handles are done the same way. After years of deterioration of the rubber, the adhesion factor fails. It is sorta the same principle that window screen spline works on holding it into place. Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,.......<br /><br />I've run into this thing Before,........<br /><br />It's the Same Thing,... Only the Other end of the Window.........<br /><br />That little piece of Rubber you mention,.......<br />I Believe that's called "Window Welt".......It tends to "Dry Out",+ loose it's "Stickyness".....<br /><br />Try as you Might,.. I Have,.... There's Nothing that'll effectively Replace a New Piece of It,..... Period..........<br /><br />I've Tried Dupont 5200,....... Silicone,.....Liquid Nails,.... You Name It,... I've Tried it...........<br />Super Glue, or Rear View Mirror Glue, Isn't Thick enough,.. To Runny,+ it Can't Fill the Voids.....<br /><br />In the end,... I went to an Automotive Glass Shop,... Got a New piece of Window Welt,... Installed it,......<br />And, that Mack Window Hasn't been a Problem Since...................<br /><br />Granted,... I was trying to attach the Glass to the Regulator,......<br />But,.... It's Still all about getting that Steel Channel to Stick to the sheet of Glass..................<br /><br />Damn SS,.......... Where'd You come from,................<br />JB's post was Right above Mine a minute ago,................. :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sorry bout that, funny how sometimes we come up with the same answer? Must be the "50" factor or sumtin? ;)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.............<br /><br />Either That,..........<br />Or,..<br />It's just a Fact,.........<br />That Great Minds,.. Think Alike.......... ;) :D

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of the "it's going to have to be the way it was stock, and nothing else will work" answer :) . <br /><br />Is it rocket science to install this window welt material? I can imagine based on what SS said that getting it stretched tightly enough then making it stay while attaching it could be tricky...

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you just need a buddy to pull it tight while you slip on the track.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Warden, it won't be as tough as you think. The guys or girls at the auto glass place can explain how its done. <br /><br />With the right size window welt (different thickness available), you just put it across the channel of the metal part. Sometimes it is too hard to push down on the edge of the glass, a bit of water and soap will help it slide on. Good Luck..................SS