Good Mayor or Stupid Mayor

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
The town I live near by has a resivoir for their drinking water. It is about a 1,000 acres of water. Boating and fishing is allowed. Unlimited horsepower is permitted, but however there is a 6 mph speed limit. It is one of Gonfishn's gator lakes that he visits and hunts his gators at.<br /><br />The city has 3 or 4 picinic areas on the south side. Even though they are not the best kept, but through the years they have done pretty good on making things accessible for the handicap and elderly. These areas were widely used by the locals unitl June of this year. We had a bad storm that blew down about 500 trees. So the city mayor gave the order to close the park/picinic areas. Of course they are still closed and have been since the storm in June.<br /><br />Here is what she has done to get the parks ready for next year. Instead of paying or letting local people go in and clear out the fallen trees, she puts out bids for someone to pay the city to clean them up. The mayor is just now getting a company to come in and clean up the park.<br /><br />Meanwhile she was on the local AM radio and alot of people kept asking her about the conditions of the parks at the resivior. All of them seemed to be PO'd over her plan of getting paid for the clean up instead of letting the local people clean it up for the firewood. If she had allowed locals to clean it up, the park could have reopened by the end of June letting people utilize the park for the rest of the season. Her explination to this was a liability issue. However local attorneys said waivers could have been drawn up for those that would have cleaned up the park eliminating the city from liability.<br /><br />Most citizens feel that the mayors plan for a sales tax increase failed during the last attempt at the ballots. Since then she has snubbed her nose at lots of things that benefited recreation around the city. Even the big Freedom Festival for the 4th of July was cancelled. This was something that had been done for the citizens for over the past 50 years! Even the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds have performed at the Freedom Fest in the past. So this was a very big event to be cancelled. Strange part is, very little funding was used for this event from the cities budget. Mostly labor from the police and fire dept. Fireworks and other attractions were always covered by local comapany donations.<br /><br />So now knowing that she is mad because her tax increase failed, she is making it a point to cut out the recreational desires of the community. <br /><br />Even the swimming pools were effected, but McDonalds and other local business raised enough money from the public to open and maintain the swimming pools for the year.<br /><br />This is her last term. She has been mayor for the last 12 years and has done a superb job until this last term. Lots of people feel that she has turned her back on the city an has refuesed to compromise on how to do things for the city without the need of city money. Nothing at this point has been revealed on how much money this company is paying to take the timber. Most residents don't care, they just wanted to enjoy the picinic areas of the resivior.<br /><br />I vote that she is a stupid mayor by not recognizing the needs of the community.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good Mayor or Stupid Mayor

Never been a Mayor, but been on City Council, Boards of Education, Library Boards and was Human Rights Comissioner for a small community.<br /><br />A good elected or appointed official does what is right for the community without regard to its popularity. Some don't go into detail to explain why.<br /><br />Sounds like your Mayor asked for more revenue and was turned down, so she is dealing responsibly with funds shortages by not spending money that isn't there.<br /><br />Good Mayor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> waivers are usually not worth the paper they are printed on. if someone got mashed to death or a leg cut off I will bet a good lawyer will empty the city coffers.but that is the nice thing about voting:) next time if she is not popular you can replace the mayor. sometimes in politics to much tenure is a bad thing. goes back to what I say about congress and senate. two terms max and sit out for 4 years minimum with no way in hades to ever ever draw a retirement from the position.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I agree with JB, "99%" But that other 1% is retalatory!! Like most other communities we are strapped for monies too!! We have a 21/2 tax cap.<br />Mayor tried to over ride the tax cap to raise our property tax, was voted down, so mayor closes 2 fire stations [retalatory move], could have taken money from other souces!!! Mayor also cancels parade of lights fireworks $20,000 [smart mayor] local super market chain picks up tab!!! Same mayor found ten million to buy 30 acres of granite ledge for open space and public use, you have to be a mountain goat to use it [dumb mayor]!!! ;) :cool:

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's hard for an outsider to judge her actions without access to more information, such as the town's accounts & budgets etc. Maybe she's just trying to make sure she finishes her term as mayor without running up a big debt, I don't know. I imagine it's likely she would want to end on a good note, from some point of view.<br /><br />I'm impressed that your citizens got the chance to directly block a tax increase. Where I live we only get a say at election time and meanwhile the taxes and rates only keep on getting pumped up and up and up... :rolleyes:

gonfishn

Commander

I have had the pleasure of enjoying and hunting the gator on Clear Fork..Got to go there only a couple times this year.. Biggest was a 38"er..It is one of three lakes in Ohio that is actually stocked with the warrior..<br /><br />To bad politics takes a front seat when it comes to enjoying this pristine lake..I hope they get it together by Spring cause its the first lake I hit when the ice goes out..<br /><br />Btw SS..Grand opening for my first store is in a few weeks as long as murphys law leaves me alone..Hope ya can make it to my grand opening...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I vote for : stupid mayor.<br /><br />There is no reason that the parks could not have been cleaned up within a month. There are plenty of contractors out there that would have been able to do it. The timber involved, and its condition, would determine if the contract was paid, exchange for timber, or a fee charged. If bids were taken, why aren't they public. Probably took her this long to find a company that would provide a kickback, and it appears she wants everyone to hate her.

NYMINUTE

Captain

STUPID by a mile.. Ours visited our plant to present a waste water award. The dumbas* didn't remember our name, had to look at the award, then pronounced it way wrong. The camera was rolling, as the attendees laughed. Didn't make the news? What a bloody jerk.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Wasn't completely thinking in first post, but got to thinkng, our city also hires school kids to work parks & recreation!!!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It just has been crazy in this town lately it seems. Even the county commissioner offered to take out the trees and put them in one location on the property. Said he could have had that done in a week.<br /><br />I heard today that the city has matched funds for a Martin Luther King memorial. Don't get me wrong, the memorial is a great idea, but geesh take care of what you have first before spending the doe.<br /><br />This years leaf pickup was changed from 3 times around the city to once. Then they picked them up when the half the leaves were still on the trees. DOH :eek: <br /><br />The mayor said on the radio that she has had more complaints this year than any other. Huh, imagine that? <br /><br />Well, like was said she can be voted out, however we won't have that chance since she is not going to run next time. I just hope Clearfork Lake is ready to go by spring. Sorry for my ranting... :(

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Sometime go to a few council meetings. The truth is mayors have very little to no power. All issues that come up, city councils and county board members vote on. The mayor has no vote as they are chair of the board. Their vote only counts in the event of a tie. mayors have little to no authority to make any decision, but have to announce all decisions and take the heat for those decisions. <br />It is possible (and from my knowledge of municipalities in todays litigical world) that the city insuirance carrier won't allow anyone to vonlunteer to clean this up. I would think a group like a church youth group could volunteer since they might have their own insurance. Cities are so limited in what they can do as far as accepting volunteer services too. All political BS! <br />My town was stuck with a building that was abandoned and condemned. The city was then responsible for hiring someone to clean up the mess. I wanted to remove some of the material from inside of the building. I spoke with the contractor that was bidding on the demolition. He said that if I removed this material he would be able to lower his bid. The city could not allow me to take this junk without submitting a bid. The reason for this was as soon as I took the stuff, someone might decide that they wanted it and deserved a shot at it. Just like the firewood, someone would miss out on a few truck loads of free wood and start whining. Some of the stuff I wanted from this building was an antique tin ceiling. The mayor said a company in another state would be interested in buying this tin from the building, and bids should be taken to be legal. I waited for bids to open, they never did. The building was demolished in whole, I didn't get the junk, they paid extra money for demolition.<br />Sit in on a few counsil meetings and see what the mayor is actually responsible for. It will surprise you.