good carb cleaner

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: good carb cleaner

It would probably work somewhat, but why not just buy the stuff that's intended to clean carbs? I think the cheap O'Reilly stuff works just as good as the Gumout brand for spray can cleaners. If you really want a good cleaning, buy the 1 gallon bucket that has a parts basket inside. Just make sure that you don't put any plastic or rubber parts in it because they won't come back out! The soaking bucket is best for carburetors that haven't been used for several years because in addition to being a wicked-nasty corrosive, it can seep into passageways that might otherwise go untouched by the spray can stuff.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

areonutt is right, best to use what is intended to be used, the soaking works best in carb cleaner. I would not use thinner as not all of them will break down varnich.

Crupi

Seaman

ok reason i asked is i have thinner in a gallon can but i also have a can of sray carb cleaner carbs have been used i just wanted to clean them beciouse motor is giving trouble running.. thanks for the help

sloopy

Commander

Briggs and stratton Makes a good Carb cleaner, it works better then all the rest. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

NAPA sells carb cleaner by the gallon. I usually use a large coffee can to soak parts in. Be very careful that you have removed ALL plastic parts and gaskets or they will vanish (melt) in the carb cleaner.<br /><br />You return the used cleaner back into the gallon container, you can (not really needed) wash off your parts and always completely dry everything. I used compressed air.<br /><br />Bob

Crupi

Seaman

ok cool thanks i hope there is no hidin plastic parts i dont see lol<br /><br />thanks for all u guys help

BillP

Captain

Here is another way to clean carbs and small motor parts...simmer them in a crockpot with antifreeze. Do it on low heat and cook overnight. This will do everything carb cleaner will do but is much easier. On really bad parts with burn't carbon (pistons), use an old nylon toothbrush to help knock the crud off. This method will not work without the heat. There is no damage to aluminum parts. You will not believe how clean the parts get.<br /><br />The fumes are hazardous to your health and the crockpot should not be used for food again.

sloopy

Commander

should not be used for food again<br /><br />Darn!!!