Golf liability question

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
I play golf about once a month and am not too good, but I enjoy it. My best game has been a 105 for 18 holes. <br /><br />Question: Let's just say that some golfer (not to be named) slices a shot towards an adjacent apartment complex and it hits the roof of the apartment and bounces out of sight hitting something metal. It could have been a trash can or it could have been a vehicle.<br /><br />Who is liable for the damage?

NathanY

Commander
Re: Golf liability question

No one. Usually a tenet signs a waiver of liability, when they move into an apartment complex that has a golf course. Thats how we do it here anyways. Ive been through this before when I first moved to AR. That kept me from getting an apartment on a golf course because I would not sign it.

Ralph 123

Captain

I'm pretty sure there is an assumed waiver of liability for everything around a golf coarse. I've seen plenty of vehicles damaged in coarse lots (including mine) and the owner always assumes the liability unless it can be shown to be willful misconduct (aiming at property or people) by the golfer.<br /><br />It makes sense - 90% of golfers slice, hook, shank, etc. If you are in or around a coarse you know there is a chance of being struck or having your property damaged.<br /><br />Did you keep you scorecard? I bet there is some waiver on the back.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I do keep my scorecard. I will read on it. I'll also ask next time I'm at the clubhouse.<br /><br />I was flipping the channels and came across a golf game and thought of my question.<br /><br />Thanks all.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I talked to one guy that owned a house on the fairway. He told me that if you break a window with a golfball and he catches you, you are going to pay for it. He said it was law. I personally don't know the truth. I wouldn't probably want to live next to a golf course. Too many problems and no privacy. We were playing one course and heard some woman in the apartments nearby in the "throes of extacy"(having an orgasim) she was pretty loud and made us all laugh. :D

dolluper

Captain

Most golf courses in Canada have libility insurance in case damage comes from their property like hooked golf balls If you claim they usually pay some try to slither out without paying

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

My family has two houses on two different golf courses. (Private Clubs) The rule is however causes damage is liable, you need to be in control of your golf ball the same you have to be in control of your vehicle.<br /><br />Just my two cents.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by nothinbig:<br /> My family has two houses on two different golf courses. (Private Clubs) The rule is however causes damage is liable, you need to be in control of your golf ball the same you have to be in control of your vehicle.<br /><br />Just my two cents.
I just called my public golf course. It is 100% the responsiblity of the land owner or vehicle owner for damage unless it can be proved that you were intentionally aiming at their property.<br /><br />I wonder if the rule is different for your privately-owned golf courses. Since you have to be a member to play, part of the membership agreement might be that if you cause damage to property next to the course, you must pay.<br /><br />I wish I could drive a golf ball as well as I drive my truck. ;)

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know a public course here where they have a big fence or huge mesh netting of some sort near the main road. The #1 tee and fairway run parallel with the main road. If you do a wicked slice, you could very well drive the ball into the windshield of an oncoming car! :eek: But like others have said, it's mostly the responsibility of the owner of the course. Other places, like the small country run municiple 9 hole courses, don't have anything like that. If you whack a ball out of bounds into a parking lot or road, then, oh well....<br /><br />Regarding slicing the golf ball... I worked long and hard on my swing and can finally hit straight. First things first - leave the driver in your bag (for now). Use a 3-Wood. Also, slow down a bit and don't try to "kill it". Use your 3-Wood on the practice range a few times and get it under control. Slicing a golf ball comes from leaving the clubface "open" (at an angle to the right) at impact, or your golf swing is coming back down at an "outside-in" path - i.e. you are swinging back down too far away from the ball (outside swing) and have to yank the club back on track a split second before impact (which brings the club inside the swing path).<br /><br />Golf can be a cruel sport at times. But it is both fun and addicting. See, there will be a time, someday, somewhere, when you swing that club and connect absolutely perfect with the golf ball, and send it flying straight out there! That's the moment when you get hooked.<br /><br />Butch A.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

The last time I played, I only used my driver on one or two holes that are very forgiving. I used my 3-iron to tee off the other 16 holes.<br /><br />From the driving range before my round, I was hitting the 3-iron about 200-225 yards and 4 out of 5 were straight and true. On a good day, I'll hit my driver about 250-275 yards, but only 1 out of 2 are straight.<br /><br />I appreciate the tips! I've never had a lesson, but read golf magazines to help me mentally understand why I do what I do. If I had the money and time, I could definitely get addicted to the game. I'd rather go fishing since I'm better at it and can take my wife and kids with me.

tylerin

Commander

Been playing forever and play to a 4 handicap.(if I could only putt) You need to watch your ball to see if it starts right and goes further right or if it starts left and goes right. This will give you a heads up on your swing path. Like any sport you need to start with the fundementals and the first thing is GRIP , and stance and alignment.(setup). I try to hit my driver as often as I can. I'd rather hit a wedge into a green than a 6-7 iron. Our club claims you're responsible for damage on the scorecard but have spoken with people who say the Club pays for damages to their houses.

TilliamWe

Banned

Not sure how the hitter of the ball could be held liable for damages. By owning a home on a course, you are assuming that risk. And it would definately be covered under the homeowner's insurance, no matter who's fault it was. I guess if you identified the person who hit the ball, you could try, but if I was that guy, I would fight that to the death.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah... Tylerin said it best. A major influence on the golf ball is THE GRIP itself. Grip it too far this way and you'll hook the ball, grip it too far that way and you'll slice the ball as well. My left thumb has to be in the pocket of my right palm - if not, then I'll hit the ball all over the place! :eek: <br /><br />The best thing that I did that helped me tremendously was, I took one of those video lessons. That was cool! It showed every detail of my swing and even showed things I wasn't even aware that I was doing. I just stood there with a 7 iron hitting to the 150yd flag, over and over and over. I have watched that slow motion video - shot from multiple angles too - and have seen exactly what my swing plane and golf shot looks like. Amazing technology nowadays! :cool: Nowadays, for 150yds, if I do a full power swing, I'll use an 8 iron. But 90% of the time, I still just use an easy 7 iron.<br /><br />For Tylerin: I know what you mean about a wedge shot to the green. My favorite club in my bag that I had made (a guy I know builds golf clubs in his basement as a hobby), is a 52* "gap" wedge. (Non golfers - it is not a pitching wedge, not a sand wedge, etc.. it's an inbetween wedge). Man, I can hit that wedge from anywhere to the green! :D <br /><br />Butch A.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by nothinbig:<br /> My family has two houses on two different golf courses. (Private Clubs) The rule is however causes damage is liable, you need to be in control of your golf ball the same you have to be in control of your vehicle.<br /><br />Just my two cents.
You say the rule is.................<br />Who's rule?<br />How do they inforce this rule?<br /><br />If I or anyone could always control their golf ball when they hit it.............we would all be playing in the pros.<br /><br />That just makes no sense.