?Golden Era? boating on a Queen of a Lake

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the opportunity to cruise on a majestic lake in a boat perfectly matched with its natural grandeur. Let me tell you the story…

A 1930 Gar Wood triple cockpit and her owner gave me a boating experience that can’t be matched. She was a 30' long precursor to cigarette boats--polished, buffed and varnished to a fine, piano-grade finish. Wood and water, well-synchronized on my classic tour of a contender for “top lake in the east” honors.

lg+1+tight+aft+cockpit.jpg

She was a great--a “wonderful and cushy; level over the water” ride, up on plane at about 17 mph thanks to the bottom work that her owner fine-tuned over a two-year period. With the comforting motor boat sound humming in the background, we toured along the lower basin of Lake George in upstate NY. The skipper then cranked it up, and the meaning of the word “speedboat” was real. I was alive as seldom one can be.

lg+1+full+boat.jpg

How often do we have the opportunity for such a signature experience? It would be impolite to ask, but I’d guess that this beauty was worth something in the lower six figures. All but an interior board or two of mahogany are original, back to 70-plus years ago--and every inch was lovingly restored over a half dozen years of careful and expert workmanship.

lg+1+two+woodies.jpg

Today, after 12 years of ownership that included much hard work and tender care, the boat has a comfortable pristine shine that does not look over-restored. Rather, one’s impression is of a well-loved friend, very much at home on a lake of grand style.

lg+1+gar+wood+steering+water.jpg

The Sagamore Hotel and Spa Resort was first constructed in 1883, and instantly became the crown property on Lake George. Here you can see it through the windshield of the Gar Wood. Today’s hotel is the third construction, since the previous two were lost to fires. In addition to signature fine-dining in its Trillium bis, the Sagamore has a variety of restaurants on the property. But our favorite is the Veranda--a glass-enclosed porch reminiscent of a grand Victorian greenhouse. In addition to serving cocktails and light fare--including tasty burgers!--they often offer live entertainment. In warm weather, Veranda dining extends outside onto a patio with a grand vista of the lake and the wonderful grounds.

550+cropped+arch+boathouse+best.jpg

Slightly south of the Sagamore, this boat house with its arch bridge connecting the two ends is my favorite.

Here’s another wonderful property with lots of trees and great views over the lake.

lg+1+house+with+trees+water.jpg

This island--called “Three Brothers”--was purchased for $2,500 in 1906. The owner aligned himself early on with Thomas Edison. He was a banker and ran NY Edison. He and his wife, Katrina, tied three islands together and built a home and boat house as a bridge over them. A sale record in 1950 showed a purchase price of $38,000!

This photo shows a boat house with the owner’s Cobalt and canoe ready for family fun.

Stay tuned for more on Lake George in another installment…

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ?Golden Era? boating on a Queen of a Lake

Way cool Seabuddy. I love threads like this. Congratulations on the experience and thank you for sharing it.:D

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lg+1+house+with+trees+water.jpg

This island--called “Three Brothers”--was purchased for $2,500 in 1906. The owner aligned himself early on with Thomas Edison. He was a banker and ran NY Edison. He and his wife, Katrina, tied three islands together and built a home and boat house as a bridge over them. A sale record in 1950 showed a purchase price of $38,000!

cobalt+and+canoe+lg+1.jpg

This photo shows a boat house with the owner’s Cobalt and canoe ready for family fun.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"Way cool Seabuddy. I love threads like this. Congratulations on the experience and thank you for sharing it."

You are welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

erikgreen

Captain

Way to advertise your website on a public board.

QC

Supreme Mariner

His "site" is only a photo storage spot . . .

tommays

Admiral

He is protecting his COPYRIGHT just ASK a few people HERE that have found there photos STOLEN and used in BOAT for sale ads :mad:

Tommays

tommays

Admiral

47b7d700b3127ccebc78168098b700000036100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

47b7d700b3127ccebc7811d0594c00000036100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

My Lake George dock still 14 dollars a day with TENT platform and outhouse ;)

Tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

It would be impolite to ask, but I’d guess that this beauty was worth something in the lower six figures. All but an interior board or two of mahogany are original
I have been doing some research on these as I am about to pull the trigger on an unfinished replica. Anyway, my guess on value of that Gar is around $80K and I am curious about your "original" comment. My guess it is the other way around, all but a piece or two of original mahogany has been replaced . . . or was she in really good shape when he found her?

cmcpherson

Banned

But yet the moderators have not dropped it...

Yeah, my original comment did not come across as I intended, I really meant that it should not have been dropped, I thought it was a great post!

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great post Seabuddy. That boat looks sweet and the scenery there is incredible. Thanks for sharing!

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

That brings back memories. I used to vacation at the Sagamore every year for nearly 2 decades...until 2006. I had a suite there for a week. On the second last day of my trip, I was relaxing out on the patio with a cocktail while the maids cleaned the rooms. In the process, they also cleaned out my wallet laying next to the bed. The management refused to acknowledge I was robbed. That was the last time I set foot near Lake George. when I got the third degree from the police and they wouldn't even fill out a report I knew I would NEVER return there.

Chuck

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I worked at the Sagamore for a short spell in the early 60s. It was a place of great wealth then - not mine of course. I worked in the main kitchen under the direction of the salad chef. Yes they had a seperate group in the kitchen that did nothing but make salads. They worked us like dogs with little time off. We (the working kitchen crew) were housed in one huge common room in a building that looked like a barn. I split as soon as I had enough pocket money to look for another job. I do remember the beauty of Lake George though.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This boat was almost all original and that sets a price that makes it a work of art to me.

What is it worth? As a 77 year old work of art, easly lower 6 figures for this boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

closed for review, by mod team

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

re opened by mods.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This boatmight bring $150,000 if the right buyer was aware of it on Lake George or Winnie.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

hey seabuddy, when i saw the thread "queen of a lake" had a feeling it was lake george....gald some of you have had an opportunity to visit/ boat on the lake. i've been boating there for 30+ years w/ my family & last year was my first w/ my own boat, a 16' cuddy that i spend most weekends on, usually the islands in the narrows or the "mother bunch" my favorite spot...

simply can't wait for the spring...........!