going to install trim tabs but?

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so the instructions say that they need to be 3-5in away from the outer edge of the hull

but as you can see in the pics the closest i can get is 8in will that make much of a difference?

and are those lifters really worth it to buy cause i think i am going to have to disconnect them everytime i trailer anyway for the transom straps

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: going to install trim tabs but?

I'd install the Lencos or Bennetts and reroute the tie down straps.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

looks to me like the tab could easily fit further outboard than you are picturing... tho the actuator in the center would have to be inboard of that part

find a new way to attach the straps that doesn't interfere w the tabs

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

What brand of tabs? Both Nauticus and Bennett have stellar support (and a presence on the forums). I'd ask them, if you bought their tabs. Nauticus was very helpful and prompt when I had an istallation question.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya i was thinking that about the straps

but at the 8in mark is where it will sit flat, its hard to see but there is a bit of a contour to it in there, i could maybe do 7-7.5 but thats about it

8 was a pretty rough mark

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and they are the 80lb nauticus smart tab sx,

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my point was that possibly the flat part of the tab could be below that protrusion... they ONLY deflect down and never up from being even with the bottom of the boat

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i thought of that but i believe the base plate is to wide to fit in that area

i will see what i can do, as long as its ok if end up going as far it as 8in if i have to

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yup it would be fine... for best results you want them as far outboard as possible but inset 3-5 inches to prevent them from hitting the dock BUT they will still help when further inboard

I think I would even consider modifying the brackets if needed to do the "slide under" thing

UncleWillie

Captain

Just get them as far outboard as is practical. There is nothing magical about the 5 inches.

It is common to have to move the strap mounting points.

SternStrap1.jpg Transom1.jpg

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yup it would be fine... for best results you want them as far outboard as possible but inset 3-5 inches to prevent them from hitting the dock BUT they will still help when further inboard

I think I would even consider modifying the brackets if needed to do the "slide under" thing

+1 had em both ways and performed basically the same. The boat doesn't chine walk as much when they are out as far as possible.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

My stern has bumpouts right above the water line, and part of the challenge in mounting the tabs is to have a nice spot for the top end of the actuator piston. It looks like you can move yours inboard if you need the clearance.

My bigger concern would be with the ladder... it looks like it will drop down right on the tab. You might need to drop the ladder when dry-fitting the tab location. You don't want folks stepping on the tab as they climb out on the ladder.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It comes out quite a bit

It may just have to be a reminder type of thing when boarding

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

got the tabs on and took the boat out today, man what a difference
jumps up on plane and i can even be trimmed up for speed and she wont cavitate going into a corner

everyone should have them

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and the best thing is when i was drilling for them, nothing but clean dry wood in the transom
made me feel a little bit better about my boat

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I was beat last night. If it's not dark when I get home I will take some