God off $ is next......

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
The guy who sued on the pledge of allegiance announced today that money is next. He says he plans on filing suit next week to get the ball rolling. Why are the majority in this country having the views of the minority imposed on them? <br /><br />Why bother having the other two branches of govt. if the courts are going to dictate everything.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: God off $ is next......

Sorry, I'm not privy to your thoughts. What money? What ball? How can the right and left successfully fuss, fight, and argue if the info is so sketchy? Maybe I missed something.<br /><br /><br />...over

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Same reason that the views of minorities re slavery, voting rights, womens rights, segregation,. . .on and on ad infinitum. . . have been "imposed" on majorities that were wrong. The Constitution.<br /><br />The one most powerful feature of our Constitution, that is without precedent in history, is that it promises liberty and justice to everyone without regard to their political, economic or social power.<br /><br />That concept is so new to human experience that it has taken us 218 years to get this close, and may take another 500, to fulfill its ultimate expression. Even the men who framed it had no idea of their own failure to adhere to it.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> <br /><br />The one most powerful feature of our Constitution, that is without precedent in history, is that it promises liberty and justice to everyone without regard to their political, economic or social power.<br /><br />
So, how about the rights of the majority in this country? It seems you need to be in a special block to get fair treatment under our constitution these days. Whether you like it or not, the freedoms you enjoy were created in an environment of christian values. That is a FACT of our heritage and won't change. I never said we need to worship the dollar. Equateing my thread's issue to slavery is quite a stretch. <br />Check back in when some fool takes away something YOU care about, then tell me all about equality.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by alden:<br /> Why are the majority in this country having the views of the minority imposed on them? <br /><br />Why bother having the other two branches of govt. if the courts are going to dictate everything.
1. Because this is a republic, not a democracy, which means that the majority can't oppress, deny liberty to, or otherwise impose unfairitudes on the minority. (what JB said)<br /><br />2. Here is the the role of the other two branches of government:<br /><br />Legislative: propose a constitutional amendment, pass it by 2/3 vote of both houses, and get 3/4 of the states to approve it, either by vote of the state legislatures or state conventions, as specified by the proposal.<br /><br />Alternatively, 2/3 of the states' legislatures can call for a constitutional convention, propose amendment(s), and then get 3/4 of the states to approve it either by vote of the legislature or convention, with no intervention from congress.<br /><br />Executive: make speeches, twist arms, make pork barrel promises, generally throw the weight of the office around, etc.<br /><br />btw, a historical note: In God we trust was added to currency in 1955, one year after "under God" was added to the pledge.<br /><br />p.s., it's money, not a religious tract or a history book; if you want to pass out religious materials there's nothing stopping you unless you're a government employee acting in your capacity as a government employee.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

While the majority may 'rule', it certainly doesn't always make them right. As far as the pledge of allegiance, return it to the way it was back in '54 or so......There's nothing worse than listen to extremists blather about right and wrong. Church and state should be kept separate, but if your child wants to say "Under God", I will respect their choice.....JK

JB

When it comes to our Constitution, Alden, majority and minority are irrelevant except in elections, referenda and the passages of law in Congress. Even those laws may be in conflict with our Constitution and struck down by Federal Courts.<br /><br />I like the way Judge Roberts expressed it in response to a question about "big guys v. little guys" in court.<br /><br />"If the little guy wins it is because he is right, not because he is little."<br /><br />The same must be true of the "big guy" majority: You gotta be right.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

But respectfully JB, the minority does win in court, due to political correct decisions. <br /><br />I am very mindful that the current trend, at least in my lifetime, is that a large portion of "law" is being passed via the judiciary bench. ***** activist Judges that we the people accept. Sickening imo.<br /><br />What ever became of laws passed via referendum by the people, for the people. <br /><br />I do not have a voice now due to the courts providing decisions that I must abide by. **** like this ensures that at some time anarchy will be in our future.<br /><br />Pat

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by pjc:<br /> I am very mindful that the current trend, at least in my lifetime, is that a large portion of "law" is being passed via the judiciary bench. ***** activist Judges that we the people accept. Sickening imo.<br /><br />What ever became of laws passed via referendum by the people, for the people. <br />
Case law has been the law of the land since before America was a gleem in Ben Franklin's eye. We got the concept from England I don't know where they got it from.<br /><br />If a legislature (fed or state) don't like a judge's decision they can legislate a change.<br /><br />Your local laws (at least some of 'em) are passed by referendum; otherwise laws have never been made that way, not on federal level and no states that I'm aware of. maybe California.<br /><br />Seems to me that "politically correct" is by definition what the majority wants. Or if I wrong, help me out.<br /><br />thanks,

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ummm, putting "In God We Trust" on money never hurt anyone.<br /><br />Comparing it to slavery and voting rights is ridiculous.<br /><br />Ken

JB

My point, KIZ, is that the majority opinion can be wrong. The magnitude of the issue is irrelevant. If the majority can be wrong about something as important as voting rights they can sure a heck be wrong about something as small as this.<br /><br />Some think that putting that on our currency is an denial of their freedom from religion.<br /><br />We'll see which point of view the Court thinks is supported by the Constitution.<br /><br />The Constitution can be changed (amended) to restrict rights to freedom from religion. If you don't like what it says now, I suggest you set out to change it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

As of today, the Pledge has not been altered to remove "under God".<br />The judge has made a decision, but the plaintiff needs to file some papers before any change will be enforced. And then only in the 9th circuit. <br /><br />This will make it to the US Supreme court, and will be reversed under the "establishment" clause of the constitution.<br /><br />As far as the money goes, its a moot point.<br />It won't be long, maybe a generation, before there is no cash.<br />All electronic transfers.<br />How you gonna put "In God We Trust" on an electic impulse?<br /><br />I guess you could write "In God We Trust" on your debit or credit cards, but who's gonna see them?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in god I trust, all others pay cash.<br /> no cash no splash.<br /> have a nice day :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Jesus was no big fan of money, as I recall. In fact I think He spoke out against mixing money and religion.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

fact<br /> its funny how the so called xstains on this board react to simple questions. most can only offer a party line or a flame.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

not familiar with "xstain"<br /><br />is there any flames in this thread?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Funny that whenever the constitution protects the opinion of a certain group,the opposing group attacks the validity of the very constitution by accusing the judicial branch of policy making.<br />Please get used to the fact that the judicial branch is independent so that no political attempt to trample constitutional rights will succeed.<br />It is a sad comment on the current "majority" that it is constantly trying to ignore the constitution and accuse the judicial branch of being a leftwing liberal conspiricy.

txswinner

Banned

I am a devout Christian and I hope easy to recognize. But, I do not need prayer in school, do not mind if we go back to the way the pledge was written, and sure do not care what is written on our money.<br /><br />I have taught my children to pray when they feel the need, pray at meals, say their prayers at night and respect others when doing the same. I have taught them that sex should be between two people in love and joined by Holy Matrimony.<br /><br />Hopefully, my children know others will make decisions differently than their own and have the right to do so as long as it does not impair rights of others.<br /><br />Democracy is not the only way and we are not the only ones that have it right. These things are taught by me and you, at home in everyday lives and in church. We do not have to force it on others but are obligated that they know we believe in these rights and religious beliefs and will defend them if anyone tramples upon them.<br /><br />Hopefully, my children will live by the motto of my Dad who said each time I left him to "Remember who you are and what you stand for."

D

DJ

JB wrote:<br /><br />I like the way Judge Roberts expressed it in response to a question about "big guys v. little guys" in court.<br /><br />"If the little guy wins it is because he is right, not because he is little."<br /><br />The same must be true of the "big guy" majority: You gotta be right.<br /><br />Ditto. In other words, what is fair is fair, regardless of power or political connection.<br /><br />On the other hand, Newdow is going after the Church's freedom from taxation on tithes and contributions. If that goes down, you're going to an uprising that may ruin this nation.