Gluvit and Strippers...

VanderLaan

Seaman
Not those kind of strippers...

After resolving some family issues this last year, I am looking to get back to my 22' V5. Need to strip what appears to be house paint off the hull. Is Aircraft Stripper the way to go? Is there a better alternative? How much do you think I will need for the hull, top decking and the splashwell? Any tips or suggestions on using the stuff?

Will likely order some Gluvit too. Hull appears to be in pretty good shape, so am I correct in assuming that a 2lb kit is enough?

Last edited:

barato2

Commander
Re: Gluvit and Strippers...

chem stripping is for sure the easiest way on you......most other processes will leave you achin. prolly better for the hull too since it doesn't take off any aluminum. you may have to do several applications if your pervious-owner paint is thick or in multiple layers. my one suggestion on stripper is to be sure to keep it hot enough.....it's a chem reaction and happens faster the warmer it is. i've had stripper i applied do nothing for a long while, until i put a 300 or 500W halogen worklight close enlough to keep things warm, then things began to happen with a bang. guess you know it eats skin/eyes clothes too.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

this topic will get alot of views ;)

zip strip worked well for me...worked even better if covered immediately w cling wrap. does a nUmber on carpet glue as well.

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

Don't use Gluvit on the strippers, they don't like it!

G-string gets a new meaning? have you tested this? and did you shoot pix? the Starmada eagerly awaits...:peach:

Bluefin makes a good point...the stuff can dry out if left on for a long while, so it's a good idea to cover it with plastic

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Don't use Gluvit on the strippers, they don't like it!

G-string gets a new meaning? have you tested this? and did you shoot pix? the Starmada eagerly awaits...:peach:

Bluefin makes a good point...the stuff can dry out if left on for a long while, so it's a good idea to cover it with plastic

strippers and cling wrap :cool:

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gluvit......Available in 2 lb and 8 lb kits. Expect a 2 lb unit of Gluvit to cover 25-35 square feet, when applied at 6-8 mils. An 8 lb unit covers 100-130 square feet at the same thickness.

barato2

Commander

i think i used one 2 lb kit to do my 18' Holiday hull

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info on the amount of Gluv-It I will need to do my hull.

jrs151

Seaman

Good topic - I'm right in the middle of exactly this process and learning a lot ! Here's what I've observed/learned thus far ...

Just like in the gentleman's club, not all strippers are alike - Aircraft being the best. Why? Two-words : "Methylene Chloride" (MC-based). It pretty much eats everything. Problem... It can be pricey, and unfortunately 90% of the strippers on the self won't have MC in them, or not enough. EPA has not banned MC in the U.S., but has practically done just that via the heavier regulations & reporting requirements.

Instead, most of the strippers will be alkali-based, or other (less effective) chemical pairing. With the Alk ones, you must be careful not to let it sit on bare aluminum for too long.
And if anyone mentions oven cleaner - I'll scream!

Bottom-line ... bonified MC-based "aircraft" stripper (brush-on) is the best, but it is smelly fumey and dangerous. Note, I think some vendors are using the Aircraft buzz-name, so look for Methylene Chloride specifically. Yes, Zip-Strip has MC. Others have removed MC and kept their product the same name. If Methylene Chloride isn't written on the container somewhere, is most likely an alternative.

Next, paint type varieties. Being that these are yesteryear's boats and may have been repainted, I found that these non-MC strippers do work fine for removing rattle-can paint, automotive, and house paints. So why the need for MC then? Answer: the OEM coat. Sooner or later you?ll get down to the original paint. Not sure what Starcraft used back in the 60's & 70's (most likely lacquer) but most stripper have no real effect on it. Gummy and stick at best. Only thing I have found is MC-based strippers, and even that takes time and one still needs a scrapper AND you must scrape whilst still wet and active ... let it dry up too long and you are screwed again and will need to reapply fresh MC.

Primer : My '74 holiday has a "yellow layer" right there down next to the aluminum. It?s pretty much water-line down. Yep, Zinc-chromate primer, again, non-MC based strippers have problems.

Finally, mechanical stripping is required! After as much MC stripping and scraping as possible, you will want to get a power-drill & wire-wheel. Hopefully whatever is left behind has been weakened by the stripper at least. I have had to use a scotch-brite disc and drill in some hard areas, but the wire wheel will be the best bet at getting a lot of work done.

Last is probably wet/dry sandpaper, either manually by hand and or using an orbital vibrating sander.

Now don't take this as gospel - it's just an account of my experience so far and might find useful.
Be happer to hear about other's experiences.