Glastron Steering problems

mb2005

Cadet
Well, it;'s me again with my 2005 Glastron which I purchase new from the dealer. This summer, I notice a bit of slop in the steering that got worse and worse. Trying to dock the boat, you needed to over compensate by a 1/4 turn of the steering either way. Boat is in for winterization and dealer says that it could take about $1000 to fix the steering (plus labor). Anyone out there have some issues with Glastron and steering problems? :mad:

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Glastron Steering problems

It would probably be best to put all your problems with this boat in a single thread. Right now, you have two identical ones about the gelcoat, plus this one about steering.

When did you buy this boat, and how long was the warranty on it? If it's out of warranty, I'm betting you're not going to get a lot of support from your dealer or the boat company.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is he saying the problem is. what motor does it have. details get results.

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it helps any I have an 03 19' Glastron with 4.3L V6 I/O and I also noticed more than what I thought was normal play in the steering. I asked and I asked everyone and it seems that this is normal to have about 20-30 deg slop in the wheel each way of TDC. I still don't believe this is right. Whatever you can find out I would love to hear about it. Thanks

paul

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

prc03sx195, yours may be a bad steering arm to the outdrive, they get loose and wear, get sloppy.

mb2005

Cadet

My boat is a 2005 Volvo Penta 185 V6. It is as said by prc03sx195 there is a 30 degree slop either way of TOC. A bad steering arm might be something to check but after less than 60 hours on this boat is that normal? We only have about two months of really good boating in my neck of the woods. The rest of the time it is in winter storage.

mb2005

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestion but the problems would not get categorized properly so that is why there are two posts. One for the steering and one for the Gelcoat.
It looks like my categorization worked as I received responses for my direct issues.

Thanks again.

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok on the steering arm but like I said it only has 70 hrs on it, seems premature but.
I will check the arm out so what do I look for and how can I tell if it is bad? Thanks for the help.

paul

PS sorry for butting in on your thread mb2005.

mb2005

Cadet

Not an issue butt in as much as you like we all have to get these problems resolved. The dealer suggests that there is no "power assisted" steering in my case. Would like to know more about this. Doesn't appear to be the same type of steering issue when you loose power steering in a car. Steering gets stiff.

If you check and I check, we might be able to understand a bit better as to what is going on. The dealer is checking into Volvo because there might be a recall on this.

mb2005

Cadet

PRC03SX195,

Don't know if this is great news or not. The slop in your steering is it at low speed? Is the stern drive up or all the way down?

It looks like you have about the same amount of hours on your boat as mine so we are (sorry for the generalization) but novice boaters.. Correct?

The problem appears that we are over correcting our steering, well at least I am. The dealer took it out for a drive and everything is working as expected with no slop. At low speed he said if you try and over correct the steeing, it appears that there is slop in the steering. If you make minor corrections to the steering at low speed the boat tracked correctly. Next time you talk your boat out try to not over correct your steering.

We'll see next season and talk then. Happy boating...