Glastron GX 185

ronrburris

Cadet
I have just bought a GX 185 Glastron with the 4.3 Volvo Penta. Prop on the boat is a 14 1/4 X 23 aluminum and I am thinking about putting a 14 3/4 X 21 steel on it. What do you think? Do you have a GX 185 and what are you running, and are you happy with it?

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Glastron GX 185

I also have a GX 185 with a 4.3 and I'm going to do the same thing. I wakeboard, so I'm thinking of either the 19 or 21 and trying a 4 blade. I don't care about top speed, I'm just looking for the best pulling combo. But I'm happy with the original to be honest as it pulls just fine and we can hit 50 mph +. <br /><br />Love the boat, how about you?

ronrburris

Cadet

Chris,<br /><br />Thanks for the response. Yes, I love the boat, though I have only been able to put 5 hours on it so far. Weather just has not been going my way here in Sacramento, CA for the last two weeks. This is my second Glastron... I have owned my first one for 25 years and think Glastrons are great. I can feel already that the boat is going to really perform though I have not run it over about 25 to 30 mph and have not given it more than 3/4 of its' throttle. No full hole shot yet! :rolleyes: <br /><br />What prop size are you running at present?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Ron

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sadly, I don't know. I'm assuming it's a 23 as it goes so fast. I haven't taken the original off and checked it out. I'm going to buy a spare soon and I will take the old one off and find out first. <br /><br />But, I've wakeboarded already with 6 adults in the boat and we had no problem with the hole shot. <br /><br />I'm installing a tower this week and have a fat sack for the bow that should make it even better. The wake is already very good and the extra weight should make it even better.<br /><br />I've only got 30 hours on mine, so I too am ready to ride. I bought mine new in September '03. It had been sitting in the showroom since late 2001 and the dealer made me a deal. It's got the green stripe and I guess nobody wanted it. We love the color!<br /><br />
GX3.JPG

ronrburris

Cadet

Chris,<br /><br />Great looking boat and sounds like it is doing just what you want it to do.<br /><br />You can read the prop size with out taking it off. Just look at the prop from the back and the size is stamped around the hub where it is bolted to the drive shaft.<br /><br />How do you add images to postings and replys?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Ron

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Ron <br />What are you looking for? Faster hole shot. Good cruising. Top end speed. I also have a glastron mine is a 2003 175 with the same 4.3L. I have tried eight props on mine and found the best overall prop to be a 13.75/21 laser. The 4.3 doesn't really have the power to turn a big prop like a mirage 14.75/21 pitch. I have tried that prop It killed top speed a litlle and really lifted the stern alot.boat was real unstable trimmed up.<br />My boat is a little different than yours and I thought that larger diameter was the way to go.it was not.I tried a Offshore 14"/21pitch 4 blade and it was a dog.I would use a 21 pitch high five for water sports it will shoot your boat on plane but does kill top speed.I tried a 19 pitch vengance and It will pull your arms off but you have you watch it. It is great pulling prop but can cause you to over rev on top. You can find tons of really nice used props on ebay really cheap. Just make sure the have the torque flow II hub and you can use them with you volvo. If you don't like the way it works with your boat just resell it. I think that if you are looking for one prop that does everything well the laserII is it. <br />My boat goes well over 50mph and can pull my fat(260) Butt right out of the water. with 3adults and 2kids plus me. My fastest prop was also a laserII it was a 23 pitch and with 2 people it will do 58 on the gps. To Fast :D :D Of all the props I tried The laser 23 and the high five 21 were the only ones I plan on keeping.

ronrburris

Cadet

Thanks bluewater 19 for the response. I am sure you are right. Trying different props till I find on that work best with my particular boat. I am sure every boat is a little different.<br /><br />Again thanks,<br />Ron

ronrburris

Cadet

bluewater19<br /><br />What is the diameter of the high five 21 prop you like? Is this high five steel? Where most of the props you experimented with steel or aluminum?<br /><br />Ron

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

All the props I tried were stainless except the 14"/23pitch black max that came with the boat. I took that off after the test ride. The high five 21 pitch is 13.25" diameter but remember it has five blades! That prop is designed for holeshot and pulling for water sports. It also handles great. With five blades it will cost you a few mph up on the topend. But how many people run a sterndrive at WOT all the time anyway?

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is with the new tower, speaker and board racks. Here's hoping for a warm spring!<br /><br />
DSC00056.JPG

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Chris,<br />Where did you buy the tower?<br />How hard was it to install? What kind of backing is there where it mounts to the boat? Does it fold down for storage?<br />I really like the way that thing looks on your boat!!

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where did you buy the tower?<br /><br />It's a Wake Air brand. www.wakeair.com <br />1-877-WAKE-AIR, talk to Brian.<br /><br />How hard was it to install?<br /><br />I had a dealer install it for me. I did not have anywhere to hang the tower or the nerve to drill the holes. If you have 4 people that can help you, it's just a matter of measuring, taping and drilling.<br /><br />What kind of backing is there where it mounts to the boat?<br /><br />It has large, thick metal plates and rubber gaskets on the inside to match the ones on the outside.<br /><br />Does it fold down for storage?<br /><br />Yes, it folds forward.<br /><br />I really like the way that thing looks on your boat!!<br /><br />Thanks. I do too and so do the wife and kids. I think it looks like it came on the boat from the factory.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

chris you said you brought a new 2001- in 03<br />how much did you save because i am going to a boat show in 2 weeks and i like that style and size and motor set up<br />thanks bob in philly

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saved 4 or 5 thousand over a new GX. I was looking at a Bayliner 175 or 185 when I ran across this deal. The Glastron is nice. <br /><br />You might be able to score a new 2003 at the show and come out with a great deal. If you are near NC, call Melanie @ Graham Marine, (336) 227-8711.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Your boat turned out great. <br />I looked at the link you provided and wakeAir is located about 45 minutes from here up in roseville. I will be calling them to see if they do installs!

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can't beat that. I think they do have an installation option. Tell Brian you talked to me and I told him to give you a deal.<br /><br />Good luck.

Ripsnort

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cris, nice looking boat. What is the purpose of the "speakers" on those towers?<br /><br />Incidently, I had a 4.3 L with the Volva Dual-prop outdrive. It was on a 19' Larson All-American...talk about a hole shot! If one didn't have a death grip on the ski handle, it'd rip it right out of your hands. I'm guessing 3 seconds to plane with that boat. I miss that boat big time! Wish I hadn't sold it. Ah well, taking delivery on a new 20' Campion this week end. :)

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tower speakers are there so we can hear the tunes while wakeboarding. Thay also look cool and make the stereo sound great.

ronrburris

Cadet

Chris,<br /><br />As everyone says your boat really looks great! :eek: <br /><br />How do you post pictures on this website?<br /><br />Ron