Glastron 2005 Gelcoat cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb2005

Cadet
Has anyone had serious gelcoat cracking on a Glastron boat. The dealer flat refuses to fix the problems and Glastron in no help either. I pride myself in taking care of my boat and was very disappointed when these things appeared. Now I know some might appear but when they are two fee long or more I suspect that I am getting excessive twisting in the hull.

:mad:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Glastron 2005 Gelcoat cracking

gellcoat cracks happen for a number of reasons.......

under or over catylisation.....too thick or too thin.......and stress....(a few others also)

im suprised that an 05 would not be under warranty......you will want to take it to a pro and ask him why would this happen........

if he says its stress...like an impact....i can see why the dealer flat out says "no" to fixing it....

but it its under or over cat...well then ....they should fix it.....

post pics of the trouble area.....and have a mod move this thread down to resto......and ill call the cavelery !

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and btw.....welcome to iboats....

this is the best spot on the net for anything boating........and a really cool bunch of guys here.

DavidSC

Recruit

I also am having problems with the gelcoat on my 2005 Glastron. It is the worst around the base of the windshield and basically anywhere there things have been screwed into it. The dealer got approval from Glastron to fix for me once but they came back the following boating season. Not sure what to do??:(

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

So much for that lifetime hull warranty....hope I don't run into this problem. Best wishes, and fight for your rights. Glastron is part of the Glenmar Chapter 11 scenario, but the CEO of Glenmar is claiming that they intend to honor their warranties....

Ian

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have been hearing about alot of newer GT's craking here lately. I was always under the impression the VEC process ensured this would not happen then the warranty would pick up any slack. Isn't the GT marketing logic that hand layed is inferior to the two piece process? I have heard of stress cracks from cold water from a hose on a boat in the sun being washed but at least that I can understand. Have you by chance gone around and tightened any screws...I have heard of cracking from overtightning too.

calvinman

Seaman

Hi,

I have an 06 175 SX Glastron and so far so good, My friend at the lake has an 07 and he has some stress cracks, but they are from getting a wakeboard tower installed in the middle of winter and or a bad fit.

My boat does flex a bit, the cover for my storage compartments has cracks where the screws go in, but that is an easy fix. I would think that a lifetime limited warranty would mean that they should step up and take care of you.

The person that made and installed my mooring cover said that the Glastrons are one of the better boats for not cracking up.

Calvi

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is from the Glastron Site:

Glastron boats built with VEC? technology are backed with the ultimate structural warranty: a lifetime limited warranty on the hull, deck, floor, stringers and transom. Plus, a portion of that warranty is transferable to the next owner.

My guess like Regal boats gelcoat is not structural and is not covered after a certain time.

rpstrickland

Cadet

i am looking at a 2003 185 GX and it has some around the windshied and the handles on the bow. Is it something I should not consider the boat over?

jernsher

Recruit

Any time you see Bubba 1235 or something like that, they belong to the company and are trying to cover their ***. Not even smart, bigger companies are smarter than that. Any way. Glastron has out done themselves and have completely went away from customer care. Now they want to be like the japanese/chinese/mexico/ they don't want to be like an american company who prides themselves in workmanship. good luck. I'm trying to dump my boat also

jayyyy

Seaman

gellcoat cracks happen for a number of reasons.......

under or over catylisation.....too thick or too thin.......and stress....(a few others also)

im suprised that an 05 would not be under warranty......you will want to take it to a pro and ask him why would this happen........

if he says its stress...like an impact....i can see why the dealer flat out says "no" to fixing it....

but it its under or over cat...well then ....they should fix it.....

post pics of the trouble area.....and have a mod move this thread down to resto......and ill call the cavelery !

cheers
oops
X2. Usually occur in high stress areas of liner and deck around cleats and deck hatches etc. You can repair them but they almost always reappear, unless caused by a severe impact. Alot of people say its part of owning a fiberglass boat its only cosmetic just live with it. I disagree with that, there are alot of 20 year old glass boats that are heavily used with no gelcoat cracking. Many manufacturers don't warranty cracking/checking at all.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Any time you see Bubba 1235 or something like that, they belong to the company and are trying to cover their ***. Not even smart, bigger companies are smarter than that. Any way. Glastron has out done themselves and have completely went away from customer care. Now they want to be like the japanese/chinese/mexico/ they don't want to be like an american company who prides themselves in workmanship. good luck. I'm trying to dump my boat also

lol....bubba 1235 is a buddie of mine......he does not work for glastron....or regal...or brunswick.
i dont know where you are getting your information from.....but in this case its not true.
bubba is a long time member of this forum in good standing.

Unless of course he has recently been hired....in which case.....HEY BUBBA......I NEED PARTS !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

X2. Usually occur in high stress areas of liner and deck around cleats and deck hatches etc. You can repair them but they almost always reappear, unless caused by a severe impact. Alot of people say its part of owning a fiberglass boat its only cosmetic just live with it. I disagree with that, there are alot of 20 year old glass boats that are heavily used with no gelcoat cracking. Many manufacturers don't warranty cracking/checking at all.

the cracks from stress.....are usually right thru into the fiberglass......the fiberglass must be repaired before the gellcoat is repaired, or the cracks will re appear.

im actually shocked that cobalt does not have a longer gellcoat warranty.....cobalt is all about the finish.....they spend a lot of time on the molds before a shoot.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Closed. This is almost 3 yrs old. Suggest you re-read the forum rules since you are also bashing :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.