Gimble install,suggestions?

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you read any given source, you'll find lots of ways to install a gimble bearing. I checked with 3 different merc dealers and got 2 different ways to install. Notches IN and Notches OUT. As far as function, the bearing will work either way. Merc has done it both ways. Now after spending the past few months reading all the posts on iboats.com, I've come to trust the opinions of many of one more than some dealers. After all most of us have learned the hard way. This is not to say that dealers are not correct. My question is has anyone installed a bearing with the notches out, so you can take the bearing out,drive in the outter ring then reach in and put the bearing in. Has anyone tried this? Thanks Ernie

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gimble install,suggestions?

There is another recent thread here addressing that. I think the consensus was to do it how the manual says. Replacing the inner only, is not recommended because they are a matched set, so to speak.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

All the time with the notches out, but you INSTALL the bearing/ring as a unit.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

The main thing I try to pay attention to is aligning the hole in the outter race with the hole in the housing where the grease comes in.