gimble bearing, 470 mercruiser stern drive

gto

Seaman Apprentice
I just put my gimble bearing in on the wrong side will it run like this or do I need to turn it over before I put everything back together. second question how do I get it back out to turn it over. all suggestions well come. thanks :eek:

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: gimble bearing, 470 mercruiser stern drive

The gimball bearing goes in either way. The notch's you see are from the old days when we used to pry out just the inner bearing and leave the tolerance ring. But more important, did you line up the grease hole's? If you have to remove the bearing, you use a special 3-jaw puller with a slide hammer or a special puller made by PMS in Florida.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the in put lakensea .I had just finished lineing up the grease holes and driving it into place. I looked at book to see best way to hook up bellows and bang there it was gimble bearing slots to the front. Thanks now I can try to finish up this little project with out futher delays.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi GTO, I think the gimble bearing will work fine installed either way. The big thing here is the grease hole in the outter shell being lined up with the outside zerk fitting. On older mercruisers the gimbles were installed the same way that I think that you have. I think it was changed because most people could just remove the center assembly and replace only that part, so most of the outdrive makers recommended that it be installed so that couldn't be done.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, everyone has been helpful at easing my mind . Keep up the great work this is a great site with some great people to help us beginners out. thanks alot everyone :cool: :)