Gimbal/Transom housing question

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Morning<br /> I got a 1964 glassmaster IO with a 110 HP Mercruiser and a Type 1a outdrive. I won another 1a outdrive on ebay (case cracked on the original one's upper) and it came complete with the gimbal housing and all the through transom mounting stuff. I will be rebuilding my transom soon and would like to know what do I look for around the gimbal housing to see which is in the best condition? Or what advanced maintenance would I want to do while the unit is out of the boat completely<br />thanks<br />Eggkr8

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gimbal/Transom housing question

What to Look For,...???<br />Corrosion,..... Of Lack of It........<br /><br />What to Service,....???<br />Replace AnyThing made out of Rubber...... Or Anything that Just Looks Bad..........

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bondo<br /><br />I was also thinking about items like the gimbal bearings themselves, is there a tolerance on side to side play, or front to back? Surprisingly my Seloc manual doesn't cover it (that was sacrcastic).<br /><br />I would like to install this unit and not have to warry about it for years (aside from prescribed maintenance of course)<br /><br />ceers<br />e

Bondo

Staff member

For Any Bearing,... Including the Gimbel Bearing,.... If there's Anything Other Than, Nice Smooth Rolling, With No Slop in it.....<br />Replace it..........<br /><br />Look over the Swivel Points on the up/down,+ the right/ left,.......<br />And, That's Probably got the old Splined Tiller Arm on it,... Make Sure there's No Play there.......<br />You Might be able to update it to the Square Shaft style.........It would be money Well Spent for the future......<br /><br />Good Luck........

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bondo,,, as always, all the info I need and none that I don't want! I will check the tiller arms and replace them while the unit is on the bench (if needed)<br />cheers<br />e