Gimbal housing o-ring I.D.?

Bass-by-you

Seaman
I have just torn down my first alpha 1 to replace the impeller. While doing so I noticed that there is an o-ring around the ujoint housing which mates with the gimbal housing. This o-ring is about 4" OD. Problem is the o-ring is torn and needs to be replaced. I have searched most of the threads, my downloaded manuals, etc. and have not been able to identify this o-ring so I can buy a new one? Any guidance for a noobie out there? 1984 898 ThunderBolt/A1 OD.

Thanks Guys

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gimbal housing o-ring I.D.?

Just buy the gasket kit, it contains everything you need to reinstall the drive.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

......any Mercury dealer, or for that matter, boat repair facility, would have a bucket full of that o-ring.
Head up to the 'Stickies' at the top of this forum...Don S. has posted most of the manuals in the 'Adults' and 'Technical' headings.....you'll find your part numbers there. :)
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Right here on Iboats - only four dollars and change. You can usually find them even on the shelf at most marine equipment suppliers. Buy several, as you will need to remove the outdrive from time to time and you don't want to have to drive to the store everytime you do.

9-62600_0.jpg

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty sure the one you're looking for is P.N. 27-35982. But, the previous posters are right...may as well buy the set. I think the sets are like $3.00.

Bondo

Staff member

You can usually find them even on the shelf at most marine equipment suppliers. Buy several, as you will need to remove the outdrive from time to time and you don't want to have to drive to the store everytime you do.

Ayuh,... I buy 'em by the Dozen at my local Napa...

Bass-by-you

Seaman

Thanks guys....ordered a set and a few spares appreciate the help.

Bass-by-you

Seaman

By-the-way....I have noticed in a bucn of the postings that guys are leaks between the upper and lower unit because of the lask of a "Quad gasket". Will this gasket be included in the set or do I need to order it specifically?

Thanks

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

The quad seal is a very small O-ring/seal that seals the oil passage between the lower half and upper half of the outdrive. It's usually covered in oil and difficult to notice if you don't know it's there. It's on the starboard side adjacent to the impeller housing.

I do not think it's in the transom seal kit.

Try this P.N.; 26-455771