Gimbal housing, gimbal ring, and bell housing

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1970 L6. Original 1970 transom plate, gimbal housing, gimbal ring, and bell housing. I have read that there may be some difference between an inline and V engines with the transom plate, gimbal housing, gimbal ring, and bell housing. I want to put a newer gimbal housing on my boat so I don't have to remove the gimbal bearing to grease it. I have the oppurtunity to get an Alpha one gen 1 drive with all the associated outside parts. Do I have to change the inside transom plate also? The parts are coming off of a 1979 bramco seaswirl with a 4 cylinder engine.

Jason

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: Gimbal housing, gimbal ring, and bell housing

I have a 70 boat that has a grease fitting on the gimble housing on the side next to the transom for the gimble. A spare inner transom mount came with my boat and other parts from a 4cyl mercruiser. It looks exactly like the one in my boat thats a L6 factory. I think the new one will have the trim/tilt senders on the gimble instead of on the inside of the transom. Hopefully someone will know for sure. I'm not positive but it would be good to know incase I ever do an update. The input shaft is different in length I've read so i dont know if youd have to change it or if that changes if you use the outer gimble assy. Good luck i'll be watching this would be good info.;)

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Read the outdrive interchange post on ths forum it explains about the shaft differences anyway.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Read the outdrive interchange post on ths forum it explains about the shaft differences anyway.

Yes the inline engines use the short shaft. Which I have. Hopefully I can bolt all the outside stuff right up to my inner transom plate.

Jason