Gimbal Bearing

PT

Seaman
I have a bearing remover, but i still cant get bearing to come out, My hand is going numb from sliding the rammer.Only other thing i know to do is heat it up, is there any other way you guys have removed the bearing with success, if i do end up having to heat it what do i need to watch out for on the heat, dont wanna cause any more problems, Im working on this right now, I need your help mates...Thxs

PT

Seaman
Re: Gimbal Bearing

Sea Wolf you were correct ..The U Joint Bellow had a nice hole on top of it :D Thank you for the advice

PT

Seaman

Theres not any kind of lock ring or any thing in front of the bearing i need to take out before I pull bearing is there?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Use a bigger remover.Mine was rusted from a salt water leak and my mechanic had to use a larger puller.You may want to soak it with a good quality penetrating oil before trying again.I hear Buster is the best to use. Charlie

PT

Seaman

Charlie i have as big a puller i can get in there.I used the slider rammer for awhile, now i have (2) 1/4 inch steel plates behind the puller in such away that it is applying pressure (LOTS) to the bearing.I hammer on the stud that is applying pressure & it still looks as if its not moving, For peace of mind does this bearing have anything (set screws,lock ring,snap ring or anything to hold it in.If i dont break housing that holds the bearing I will get some pentrating oil to put in there & leave the presure on it.Everything has went fine till now, is this the part where i become a salior%@&^#&$%@(!)#$& :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Did you have any salt water intrusion???That would explain the problem because I dont recall anything else the would hold you up.If you are going to try penetrating oil and I suggest that you at least give it a try,use something called pb buster.Everyone swears by it especially in this forum.Good Luck!!! Charlie

PT

Seaman

Gimbal from Hell is OUT!!!!!! "Saltwater Intrusion" If someone can figure out how to put this stuff in a CAN we could be rich. Stuff is stronger than Concrete!! Penatration oil, i dont belive would have loosened it up any, maybe after a month & 5 cans. What i ended up doing was beating the bearing out piece by piece, 1st the cover over the bearings, then the ballbearings, the inner sleeve & last the outer housing, which when i removed 9\16 of the housing it was still stuck to the wall like it was moulded there, The oil seal was next & it was almost as hard to remove, beat it out also..I really dont belive nothing has been touched in there since ummm the boat was made in 1987, I belive that would have been the last time it saw someone. wanna say thxs too all who could help me get this out, parts ordered & in a few days hope to get it back together, hope it want be long so i can get to the water before all the fishes are gone :D

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget to line up bearing for the grease fitting and check the shaft seal in front of bearing.I believe there is a certain side of bearing that goes in first.Grease it good then install it.

PT

Seaman

Bernie glad ya said that made me remember something.when I took the grease fitting extension out it was stopped up so bad that grease was never getting to bearing in the past. also between the gimbal & seal there appeared to be what looked like sand, maybe this was dried up grease not sure, regardless it was past time for a overhaul on the drive .Experience is worth it all.