Gimbal bearing puller

Scott06

Admiral
Ran into an issue pulling the gimbal bearing in my 2004 Alpha gen 2. Fresh water boat still has the original greaseable bearing in there, never had water in bellows...

an hour with BF slide hammer didnt budge it...

was thinking about getting this tool

Has anyone used this one, expensive but the reviews are good.

Alternatively was thinking of making my own out of a swiveling axle bearing puller attached to a threaded rod and plate across the bellhousing...

something like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIx-OztdjqiAMVUTcIBR0myiwAEAQYAiABEgLA-vD_BwE

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I have an OTC set like in yer link, 'n have used it successfully,......

Years ago, I pulled a stubborn gimbel bearing, with a threaded rod, a heavy flat bar, 'n a washer 'n nut I slipped in-between the coupler, 'n gimbel bearing, 'n pulled the bearing against the bellhousing,....

Alumarine

Captain
Like Bondo I used an axle bearing puller with threaded rod as well.
Harbour Freight has the pullers for $29.99.

1727705723577.jpeg

Scott06

Admiral
Thanks guys. I think that's what I will do axle bearing swivel plus some threaded rod and bar

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
The puller you show should work, unless it’s REALLY stuck…. The one I did last year had been in there since 1980, and BROKE two of the axle pullers…. I ended up having to remove the gimballing “eye” and cutting the aluminum outer housing with a dremel……

Scott06

Admiral
The puller you show should work, unless it’s REALLY stuck…. The one I did last year had been in there since 1980, and BROKE two of the axle pullers…. I ended up having to remove the gimballing “eye” and cutting the aluminum outer housing with a dremel……
Hopefully no cutting … did yiu have to take the bellhousing and bellows off to get in there ?

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully no cutting … did yiu have to take the bellhousing and bellows off to get in there ?

I had already pulled the bellows and bellhousing for access. I have large hands, and being able to see what I am doing is a plus. I cannot see how you would be able to use the "nuclear option" without pulling those parts... Plus it keeps the shavings out of the bellows.....

Alumarine

Captain