Gimbal Bearing / Play / Alignment

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the engine removed, the shaft which enters the boat has about 1/4" of play. <br /><br />1. Is this normal or do I have a bearing to replace?<br />2. Is this the Gimbal Bearing?<br />3. In order to align the new engine, do I have to remove the outdrive?<br />4. What part of the outdrive do I remove?<br />5. Any other tips that may be helpful<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />Matt<br />Seattle, WA<br />1978 Reinell 6m Deep-V<br />w/ Mercruiser 898

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gimbal Bearing / Play / Alignment

1. If by "play" you mean it just flops around, that's no good. The shaft will move if you push it, the gimble bearing has a pivoting ceenter section. <br /><br />2. Yes.<br /><br />3. Yes. Definitely, and don't bother installing it without aligning it or you'll just be pulling it again to fix the wiped out coupler, bearing, u-joints, whatever goes first. <br /><br />4. The upper and lower, not sure what a merc 898 is though. If it's like an alpha there are 6 nuts holding the drive on, then the trim rams. <br /><br />5. Buy a manual, best $40 or so you'll spend if you'll be doing this yourself. Trust me I know. :) <br /><br />Good luck!!!

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for your reply. We took the bell housing off and used the alignment tool. Although it was difficut to get the shaft to slide freely, I think we got it fairly aligned. It take two strong fingers to pull it out.<br /><br />Matt<br />1978 Reinell 6m

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Is your tool painted? Mine was painted and would barely go through the bearing. I took some fine sandpaper and sanded down the paint to bare metal and it slid freely like it was supposed to. Get the alignment to the point where the tool almost falls in/out. It should take very minimal effort to move the tool. If it's binding that means the alignment is not straight. <br /><br />Did you really take the bellhousing off or was it something else? The bellhousing attached to the back of the engine and it's what the engine uses to mount to the boat. Don't see how you can get it out without pulling the engine...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The "helmet" on the transom assembly (that the driveshaft bellows attaches to) is called a bellhousing. I assume that is the part that Matt is referring to.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not take off the bellhousing, sorry for the misinformation, I am new to this. I just removed the outdrive.<br /><br />The tricky part is the side to side adjustment, should there be any? The lag bolts the go into the hull have a small amount of adjustment, should I be working with those as well? Seems like a lot of axis to adjust just based on feel. Is there a more scientific way to do this? <br /><br />I've spent hours on this, I hope to fire my new engine up tonight, yaay.<br /><br />Matt<br />Seattle, WA

flashback

Captain

slow-boy, the side to side or lateral axis is not adjustable as far as I can tell. the two large bolts with springs and washers should line up things in that plane.....up and down is the main adjustment..........although if one front mount is a lot higher than the other I guess it could throw things out.......