Gimbal Bearing Install confusion

yoba439

Cadet
This is a great info forum and glad to be here.Thanks

Have 1982 25 Ft Bayliner 5.7 350 with Alpha One I/O. This was project boat with blown 305 V8 and Gimbal bearing was already removed when I got it. I installed new Rapido 350 V-8 with new center riser manifolds and dropped in which runs great.I installed new Gimbal bearing with slots facing out and grease hole aligned after reading MercStuff since it said prior to 1984 slots out. Well,after reading some of these post and others doubts about some of MercStuff's info I have these questions. Rather then pull the new bearing which will probably require a new one if I do. Is my understanding correct that the only reason to install with (slots in) is to eliminate the temtpation of someone just trying to replace the center part in the future or am I ok with the slots facing out as long as I keep it greased and only replace/pull intire bearing on next change out and put back in with slots facing forward next time. Also,since the slots are facing out to rear, if I try to pull with slide hammer will just the center pull out or will the entire bearing pull out since I put it in with slots out. Sorry for the newbie questions i have been boating for years but this is my first I/O. BTW Have all new bellows,shift cable,and aligned engine with tool already.Trying to do it right so family can enjoy in lieu of being towed in if you know what I mean. Thanks

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Gimbal Bearing Install confusion

You'll be fine with it as is. Part of the reason for them being installed slots out, was so that the bearing would be removable for greasing. Newer drives have a grease passage, so there's no need to remove it for greasing. Just replace the bearing and the ring as a single unit, when it comes time.

gwa584

Cadet
Re: Gimbal Bearing Install confusion

In answer to the second part of your question as well (re: will just the center come out if I have to slide-hammer-pull the whole thing again in the future)...two thoughts:

1. Hopefully you'll never have to replace it again...no reason to with good care (i.e. greasing it properly and watching the condition of all your bellows to make sure water isn't getting in which will cause corrosion quickly).

2. Depend on how your three-arm puller is designed (if you're using one). I think it has to be pivoted sideways in the carrier for it to come out alone, but even if just the center does come out, just get a bigger washer or make your own to pull the carrier (assuming you don't use an 'official' tool).