gimbal bearing help

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok i tried slide hammer and then a automotive screw type but the screw wasnt long enough too put a plate on bell housing so what are my options i dont want to spend 300 on the puller or try the tree truck method and the boat shop is to busy to mess with a gimbal bearing witch is bull crap i know they have better jobs but people should not be such as$holes to pass up a 15min job (with the right puller) just becouse you have bigger jobs but thats the world we live in. I work in a hospital and i will always go out of my way to help people, any way should i just pull the motor and beat it out ALPHA 1 GEN2 1998

Uraijit

Banned
Re: gimbal bearing help

Get a piece of "allthread" rod from Lowes, that will fit into your 3 jaw puller. Use that with a plate and an impact wrench.

Also, are you threading the puller into the jaws, once the jaws are behind the bearing? You've gotta screw it in, to spread the jaws, and lock them into the bearing. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to keep the jaws behind there long enough for the slide-hammer/plate to work. Common mistake folks make they first time the use a 3-jaw puller.

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeh I Can Get It To Stay On But It Wont Move I Will Go To Lowes And Try To Make A Better Screw Type But How Well Does It Work If You Knock It Out From The Inside I Pulled The Motor Before And That Wasnt To Bad

Uraijit

Banned

4-words "By whatever means necessary".

Knocking it out from the inside does work as well. But if you can get the allthread to work, it's a whole lot less effort, for the same result. ;)

Good luck!

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks That Slide Hammer Hade Me Ready To Tie To A Tree And Rip My Transome Off, So Many People On Here Have Pulled There Bearings That Way, I Wonder What Is The Most Someone Has Messed Up

Uraijit

Banned

Thanks That Slide Hammer Hade Me Ready To Tie To A Tree And Rip My Transome Off, So Many People On Here Have Pulled There Bearings That Way, I Wonder What Is The Most Someone Has Messed Up

If you rip your transom off doing it that way, either the transom was gone already, or that bearing wasn't coming out anyway... ;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Yeh I Can Get It To Stay On But It Wont Move I Will Go To Lowes And Try To Make A Better Screw Type But How Well Does It Work If You Knock It Out From The Inside I Pulled The Motor Before And That Wasnt To Bad

iF yOU pULL tHE eNGINE aND tRY tO kNOCK iT oUT fROM tHE fRONT yOULL hAVE tO rEPLACE tHE sEAL tOO, jUST pERSIST wITH tHE sLIDE hAMMER. hAS tHERE bEEN sALT wATER iN tHERE?

cHRIS................

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No It Looks Pretty Clean But I Noticed It Looks Like Bellows Adhesive Some How Got Around Carrier And Dried And The Slide Hammer Fells Like It Ripped My Knuckle Out Of Socket So Im Through With That

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A bigger slide hammer? I have, in the past, had problems getting them out if they are a bit stuck... Put down the small hammer and picked up the REALLY BIG one.... They usually give up pretty quick :D....

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Soak the bearing overnite with some pb blaster. Than try the slide hammer again. Keep working it, eventually it will give.

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: gimbal bearing help (ITS FIXED)

I Beat On This Bearing All Day Yesterday And Today I Put Some Pb On It Let It Sit For 30 Min And Four Strokes With The Slide Hammer And It Comes Out Thanks For All The Help

JustJason

Vice Admiral

have fun installing the new one without destroying it!! :D