Gimbal Assembly Installation

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am re-assembling my boat after replacing a broken outer gimbal housing. My question is, Is it possible/advisable to re-assemble the gimbal housing, ring, bellows, and all other items into into the gimbal assembly complete before bolting it back up?

Or should I assemble it all on the boat after it is mounted?

It seems like it would be easier to re-assemble everything in the garage on the workbench and then bolt it all back up, but i'm not sure if there is some item that I may be overlooking that can't be assembled that way.

Thanks

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Couple of notes, feel free to comment if I am doing something terribly wrong.

1. Using 4200 to hold the transom seal and exhaust seal in when I install it.

2. Using all original bolts and hardware that came off including U-bolt, washers, etc, was considering stopping by the hardware store for stainless versions, but not sure if there is something specific for why they used these steel bolts on the transom plate.

3. Need to buy bellows adhesive, my stupid GLM kit didn't come with any :/

4. There was just a little bit of dirty/corrosion on the gimbal pin, I sanded it with 1000 smooth and it's clean now, the seal and sleeve are intact, but I'm a little concerned that it goes in to easily, it was really tight coming out, but now it slides in fairly easily, doesn't have any noticeable play tho. I plan to grease this with spline grease or bearing grease.

5. re-using the gimbal ring bushings (are these paper?), since I don't know if I need new one's or know where the I'd get them in a timely manner.

6. going to research and find all the torque specs for the housing bolts, pin, steering bracket, u-bolts, and gimbal ring pins.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
What are you working on specifically?

I personally like to glue the big rubber gasket to the housing with some contact adhesive - like bellows adhesive - instead of the 4200. You can used 3M weatherstrip adhesive in place of bellows adhesive if that is easier to find. It is the same stuff.