Gift

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I could do with some thoughts from my friends here at the Iboats forums.<br />I have a good workmate whom I've known for 20+ years. He's been given a few months to live, is under 50 years young and doesn't want to die.<br />He is going overseas to England and the USA in a few weeks to say his farewells to his family and we don't know if we'll see each other again.<br />I'm just fishing for ideas for a farewell gift he can take with him on his travels to remind him of home! He's not religous, is well healed financially, is single, and says he doesn't want a fuss.<br />Any ideas, I've racked my braing and can only think of silly things for him. I will miss his company and free giving spirit he's shown us all over the years.<br />Ross

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: Gift

This might sound a little silly, and it may not be right for your friend. But I have a very small and very fine old hen and rooster pocket knife. I got from my wifes grandmother. It has brought me luck and I rarely leave on a fishin or hunting trip without it, not that I use It I just like having it along. It is easy to carry along and you never even notice its there. Every time I handle it, it brings on some great memories of days gone by.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Since he will be traveling quite a bit and will have idle time on his hands perhaps a book might be in order.<br /><br />A subject that he might find comforting is one dealing with friendship and what it means to different people.<br /><br />A book of poetry might be nice too.<br /><br />Perhaps a small log book. Give it to him and ask him to put his thoughts in it. Tell him when he is gone this will give you something to remember him by.<br /><br />Not sure if he is the literary type but these things might be nice.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ross,<br /><br />Visit a jeweler.<br /><br />Get something that's small enough that he can easily carry in his pocket. <br /><br />When you hold it in your hand, be sure that it feels good, that it feels right... that it relays a feeling of class and lasting endurance.<br /><br />Then have it engraved with three words. "I love you". You can't make a more powerful and sincere final statement to a friend. <br /><br />It will remain in his mind, as well as yours, until the end.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Excellant idea Warhorse. Its hard for a man to hug another man. Its hard for a man to tell another one that he loves him. Its also one of the greatest feelings you can experiance. Whenever you are comfortable enough to do it you know the love is mutual.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Ross, Here is something that I use to do while I was in the Navy. We would share dollars. This way we would always have a couple of bucks for a beer if we met later on in our lives.<br /><br />This is how it works. You each take a dollar, tear it in half. You write something in regards to him on his half and then he does the same for yours. This way it can be carried in your wallet. You can take it out when you think of him and the same for him also. <br /><br />I still have 18 dollars from people who I have met while in the Navy. It is still nice to think about them once in awhile.<br /><br />Just a thought.... :D