getting that lower unit back on

mellocj

Seaman
I took off the lower unit on my 1963 Evinrude 75hp to change the impeller.. Now I'm having trouble getting it back on! There is about an inch or two where it won't slide up all the way. I am pretty sure it isnt the water tubes because I can still jiggle them around a little bit when pushing the lower unit up. Is there a special way to align the driveshaft?<br /><br />Any other tips for getting this thing back on?<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Mark

alcan

Commander
Re: getting that lower unit back on

Hi Mellock<br />Disabel ignition. Either rotate flywheel or prop shaft. If you turn the prop shaft it must be in forward gear. It can be handy to have a helper sometimes.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've had the lower unit off my 85 120 Evinrude a half dozen times in the last month. Don't ask-but it's working great and we have a system now. Helper has to line up the water tube with a long screwdriver (and a flashlight helps). Once lower unit slides up a bit, it should only be about an inch or less now. Now have the helper turn the flywheel. Do you have the bent type of shift rod. This has to be orientated right too. Mine kept moving just enough to..........Definately takes some patience to do.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good advice from Alcan & Luna Sea. Another shortcut I've found replacing the lower unit is after dropping the screw for attaching the shift rods half a dozen times is to go to the Hardware sore and getting the same size screw with an allen head. Make sure it's Stainless Steel [Schematic], and you can hook them up the first time. Hal

mellocj

Seaman

Thanks for the replies! I managed to wiggle it back on by turning the flywheel and carefully using a floor jack. I hope I didn't squish one of the tubes, I'm pretty sure they went in OK. I guess I will find out if I didnt do it right :) <br /><br />Mark

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I've found it also helps to wind fine wire around that blasted screw for the shift rods -- if it's the kind that you have to insert after the upper and lower rods are lined up. Wind the wire around a few turns counterclockwise, so pulling it off when you have the screw partly secured will not back the screw out. The wire helps hold the screw while you are trying to get it started, and also keeps the fool thing from dropping into the leg if you lose your grip. (Good idea to get that allen headed screw -- have that on a Chrysler I recently worked on, and it makes it a little easier.)