Getting ready for a new season

Before I start just wanted to say a big thanks to this forum for be able to learn a ton of stuff. This will be my first time putting my boat back into the water(winterized it last year with the help of everyone here), just wanted to know if there was some kind of checklist to get the boat ready this year. I already painted the bottom and gave it a fresh coat of wax. I ahve a 97 sundancer, 5.7. A few questions: do the batteries need to be charged or can they be charged from the engine running(with a jump), any kind of diagram for the gasket replacement when reinstalling the outdrive, do I have to replace the plugs, wires, cap, themostat, etc every year?? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Getting ready for a new season

I would surely give the batteries a trickle charge rather than a jump start.A jump start leave room for error and possibly shorting out the alternator.I would get a manual for the o/d re-install.It is not too hard to do but it is easy to miss a step w/o a manual to refer to.Have you changed all fluids and water seperator????Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I'll make sure to trickle charge the batteries. For the winterization I changed the engine oil, o/d oil as well as the water seperator. Do you know where I can pick up the manual? Or do I have to go to SeaRay directly?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Tom,<br /><br />I think that charlie is referring to a clymer manual or a sealok manual available by going to the iboats marine mall. They are laid out by engine, year and outdrive.<br /><br />These manuals will provide you with all the technical information regarding your specific power plant.....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thats right,you want the manual for the engine and drive.Sounds like you did all the right maintenance in the fall.Hopefully you fogged out the engine in the fall,so when you get it up and running this year you should replace the spark plugs.Dont replace them until after you get the boat running so the old plugs will have the fogging residue on them.Do you have a fresh water system????Charlie

Charlie, the engine was fogged, fuel tank filled and stabilized(it was 50/50 whether to leave it empty or filling it up), the boat is raw water cooled so I used an old cooling hose, attached it to the thermostat housing and added pink antifreeze until it came out the back and opened the valves till it ran out, also added antifreeze to the fresh water and ran each faucet till it came out. Do you prefer the Clymer or Selok manual? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again all for your help!!