Getting more out of Evinrude Lightwin 4HP

Fester

Seaman
I have a 1969 Evinrude Lightwin 4hp motor and just took it out yesterday will success. I found that if I ran it with the high speed knob turned to full lean that it ran better than ever but it seems like the motor has more to give. Is there a way to tweak the motor to get it to run faster? It runs like a top but seems that I could get quite a bit more out of it. Any information would be appreciated! I am new to outboards so if you be as specific for a lehman as you can it would be appreciated

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Getting more out of Evinrude Lightwin 4HP

That is one of the finest outboard ever made, Fester. Three HP is 3 HP.

My advice is to leave her be and enjoy what you have.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, at 4hp, the motor is already "souped up" from the 3hp that it evolved from. I agree with JB.

However, since you say you have the knob turned all the way toward lean, the knob may be in the wrong position on the needle valve. Remove it (just pull it straight off), and reinstall it at mid-point (don't change the needle, just reposition the knob). Then re-test your motor, setting the adjustment to where it runs the best at full throttle, on a boat. Then pull the knob off again and put it back on at mid-point without moving the needle.

Normal adjustment is turn it toward lean till it starts to falter, then turn it back toward rich till it regains full power.

Fester

Seaman

Thank You Very Much!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a slim chance it will plane with a tiller extension and you in the middle seat.