Getting Closer

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice
First off, Thanks for everyones help and suggetions. I have the carberator cleaned and assembled! The plumb bob on the wire on the float assembly was the shut off needle as one of you suggested. <br />Now two questions, First I have an old Clymer generic type shop manual and can't find any recommended settings for High/Low speed. <br /><br />Next, being this is a 1960 40 hp Seahorse, should I being running lead additive? I ran stright 93 octane as suggested by the guy I bought it from be think that is essesive.<br /><br />Help?<br /><br />Thanks, Billy

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Getting Closer

Hi Billy,<br /> Regular pump gas is fine - no need for the higher octane. 87 or 89 is fine. No need for the lead additive either - that was for lubrication of valve seats in 4-strokes.<br /> If you do a search here on the boards you'll find a great step-by-step dissertation on needle valve settings by Joe Reeves....<br />- Scott

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

iboats recently had some server problems and the search function has not been working very well. If search doesn't find what's recommended above, here's Joe Reeve's procedure. This is for engines with both high and low speed mixture adjustments.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable Needle Valves (N/V’s)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns. <br /><br />Setting the high and low needle valves properly:<br /><br />NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.<br /><br />(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting. <br /><br />(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all,<br />BoatBuoy, I think yours is a print out and staple with the manual. Thanks

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Good idea Billy, but it's not mine. It's Joe Reeves.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

BoatBuoy- last question on this topic.<br />I have this engine in the shop on a stand. Have all the electrical hooked up and plan on testing it in a barrel. Can I safley take the engine up to high speed without the prop on in forward, our should I just wait until ice out to test it? <br /><br />Thanks again

daveswaves

Ensign

NO! Test in a barrel by all means, but put a prop on and keep the rpms down. All you really want to do is get a decent low speed setting in the barrel, the high speed has to be on the boat. Gonna have to wait like the rest of us for that ice to go away!

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that waves, Will do.<br />Will let all know how the power up goes before the weeks end. You have all been great with my questions.