getting boat ready for the spring

Stings

Seaman Apprentice
I have a merc 140 with a pre alpha outdrive. i bought it last summer and it ran fine all summer. in the fall when it was in the mid 30s to 40 degrees out side we took it out of the water that was i the mid 30s for the year. it ran real sluggish. could that be from the cold? i put in a new coil and points when i first bought it and it ran fine. in the next week I'm gonna change out the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, oil, outdrive impeller, outdrive oil. maybe the thermostat. i might do the filter at the inlet of the carb. i have a question on a part that is before the carb. its about 4" tall and the fuel line runs thru it. when i unloosen the screw on the top i am able to take a clip off that holds on to it on both sides. inside there is a white filter looking thing that resembles corral. what is that and should it be replaced? the engine is on a 1984 boat. so i assume the engine is same age. what are some other things i should do to get it ready for the spring? i will have the timing and dwell checked also

Laddies

Banned
Re: getting boat ready for the spring

That sounds like someone has installed an inline filter in the fuel line, if you can't find a ceramic filter for replacement just soak the old one in lacqar thinner and blow it out--Bob

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

while u are changing the other bits i would also change out the points again.. <br /><br />trog100

Bondo

Staff member

i have a question on a part that is before the carb. its about 4" tall and the fuel line runs thru it. when i unloosen the screw on the top i am able to take a clip off that holds on to it on both sides. inside there is a white filter looking thing that resembles corral. what is that and should it be replaced? the engine is on a 1984 boat.
That's the Fuel Pump,.........<br />The pc. of coral is the Fuel Filter..........<br />Either replace it with 1 like It, or a paper 1 will also work................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest you get a service manual before you do anything to that engine. If you don't even know what a fuel pump is, you really shouldn't be taking it and other things apart in the fuel system without knowing what you are doing. Leaks in the fuel system in a boat can cause one heck of explosion because it has no where to go.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stings, Like it was said here, that "stone" is a fuel filter. You can likely get one at any auto parts dealer since they were standard to GM cars for a long time. Take the old one for matchup purposes. Now look at where the fuel line meets the carb. If may go into a cylindrical fitting that houses a small paper filter and rubber gasket. It will unscrew from the carb, after you remove the fuel line pipe fitting. That should be all the OEM filters on the motor.