Getting boat out of long term storage

H2Olog

Cadet
Before my grandfather gave me his boat just before he pasted away. The boat is a 1978 Welco with a MerCruiser MCM 140 in-line 4.<br /><br />Now to my problem, the boat hasn’t been out of the garage for 4 years. Can anyone give me a list of things I should do before putting it into the water this year? The motor only has a few years of use on it and I don't want to break it my first time out.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Getting boat out of long term storage

The boat hasn't been touched in four years. Find someone who has time on sterndrives, lots of time. Buy them alot of beer, ask them to spend the day, or send the boat to a dealership. Way to much stuff to list here.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats :) Try this for starters..... link <br />There is alot to do ;) ......JK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For one thing, you should pull the distributor and with an oil pump priming tool, run the oil pump with a drill to circulate some oil to all the bearings in the engine before ever cranking the engine over. Then squirt some oil in the cylinders (a couple tablespoos full will be about right) and crank the engine over with the plugs out to circulate the oil in the cylinders.<br />Then a full tuneup. points,condenser, plugs, cap, rotor, all the usual.<br />Then there is the fuel system. The gas is probably dead after that long. Carb may need to be rebuild filters changed tank drained and refilled.<br />The drive oil should be changed. The ujoint bellows and the raw water pump impeller changed. The ujoints and gimbal bearing inspected and lubed. The alignment should be checked since you have the drive off anyway.<br />Put in new battery/batteries start it up, finish the tuneup. Dwell, timing, advance timing, carb mixture adjustment, idle speed, keeping an eye on the temp and oil pressure.<br />After all warmed up, change the oil and filter. <br />Run it again, check the shifting. IF it dies when you put it in gear and take it out of gear the shift cable is probably due to be changed too. So to keep from pulling the drive twice, you may want to change it while changing the bellows.<br />Now, if everything has gone perfect you should be ready for the water. But on boats, there ain't no such thing as perfect. But you will at least have some idea what else will be needed at this point.

H2Olog

Cadet

Thanks for the info.<br /><br />I’ve been driving boats since I was a little kid. The boat my grandfather gave me is the same one he taught me everything I know about boats. The one thing we never covered is boat maintenance. I’ve worked on cars and played a little on personal watercraft but never boats.<br /><br />Given the amount of work that needs to be done, and my lack of knowledge, would it be best for me to have someone else do the work? At this point I do not even have a service manual.<br /><br />Speaking of service manuals, where is the best place to get them?<br /><br />Again, Thanks for help

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

For the first time, get someone else to do it, too much to do, you'll forget something. Don't waste your time or money on an aftermarket manual. Using the serial numbers off the engine and sterndrive, get the REAL Mercruiser manuals, years from now, you'll understand.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I disagree....Get the manual and do it your self.....If you feel that you have enough mechanical aptitude, tools & esp. the time.....I'm assuming that you want to learn how to maintain it your self anyway......<br />The procedures that Don S. outlines will cost in excess of 1k.....So how valuable is your time?<br />The drive shaft bellows, shift cable, water pump are pretty much an all day deal for a qualified mech. depending on the area in which you live, figure accordingly....Don't forget the cost of the parts themselves.....<br />Do what Don says....Get the motor running first.....Then worry about the drive.....<br />It has been stored inside, that is a +....<br />If you have the $, then by all means have all the stuff done by a pro....If you have some money & the time, pick your battles as to what you think you can do & acquire the tools along the way to do the specialty stuff.....<br />If you farm out the drive stuff you shouldn't have to worry for at least 5-7 years for the bellows/cable.....<br />I would get a separate can of gas to see if it will start initially.....<br />Again, get the engine running first using the procedures outlined by Don......JK

H2Olog

Cadet

I think the first thing I’m going to do is get the manual and start doing some reading. Time and money are limited; my fourth child is due in about 3 weeks. After some research I’ll just have to pick my battles and error on the side of caution. With your guys help, hopefully I’ll be able to get the kids on the water this summer.<br /><br />Again Thanks for the help

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Did your grandad keep records? Bellows and shift cable probably went a few years ago---might be some new stuff in there. Where did he have it serviced? Talk to the mechanic. You will have a better idea where to start with Don's list.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

If you are mechanically inclined, this is no biggy to service everything yourself. As far as Mercury shop manuals go, sure they are great ...and expensive. A Clymer or Seloc manual will give you more than enough info to do this kind of maintenance. If repairs become so complicated that the manual isn't clear enough for you, have it done by a competant mechanic. <br /><br />I did my own maintenance by myself in the first year with a Clymer manual. Just follow Don's list one at a time and you should be fine.<br /><br />You'll have fun doing it! Just give yourself the proper amount of time, don't rush your work, and double check everything you do.