Getting a Job...

wacandahusky

Cadet
I would like to get a job in the marine industry particularly motor repair. Is there a school you can go to and where? Or should I just apply around locally and ask for an apprenticeship?

I'm in Bellingham, WA.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Getting a Job...

you can try the apprenticeship, and hopefully get a dealer to sponser you to their factory school, but in this economy, i don't see many dealers putting out extra money, for school. there are several good schools, that you could consider.

http://www.wyotech.edu/locations

http://www.uti.edu/Marine/tabid/60/Default.aspx

marine repair is getting more and more technical, with all the computers, introduced in the motors. it is no longer just, spark, compression, fuel/air mixture.

angus63

Captain

The often left out American Merchant Marine!!! If you are young enough entry into a maritime academy to become a licensed ship's engineering officer and play with the big boys!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The often left out American Merchant Marine!!! If you are young enough entry into a maritime academy to become a licensed ship's engineering officer and play with the big boys!!!

:redface: I should be shot! I had two niece's graduate from there!!! :)

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Bob VT let Uncle Sam pay for it.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yup.... after a few years of good solid experiance playing with uncle sam's boats.... hopefully the economy will have leveled out and you will even have extra money if you decide it is not your cup of tea.

angus63

Captain

:redface: I should be shot! I had two niece's graduate from there!!! :)

Keel hauled maybe..... Did they graduate Kings Point or a state maritime? I'm presently working at USMMA, Kings Point (graduated too).

Bob_VT

Staff member

USMMA Kings Point Now I have to rack my brains and remember how long ago..... They are both about 30 years old now...LOL I hate getting older.

Nope.... you shoot an old soldier ;)

angus63

Captain

Now is an opportune time to join the Merchant Marine. There are many more positions to fill than there are qualified seekers. I bet your neices are doing very well if they maintained their licenses and still sail. Wish I were 30 and single again!!!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

also MMI in Florida has a marine repair class. Doubt if it's very entailed but will get you the basics motor repair to get you working.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

marine repair is getting more and more technical, with all the computers, introduced in the motors. it is no longer just, spark, compression, fuel/air mixture.

Yup, I know of a couple of mom and pop boat repair shops that refuse to work on the new outboards. The scarry part is, I heard that one of the big local marinas (well known in our area) is even having a hard time repairing these new outboards.

Even though those 2 small boat repair shops don't want anything thing to do with these newer outboards they still make a killing on repairing those older motors and they have been around for years.

I have also toyed with the idea of going into marine repair.

Years ago I considered going into marine repair and contacted several manufactures to ask about training programs. My answer from all was that their training schools were open only to those already working for approved dealers who would sponsor you. Same way with car makers. Its a good idea for a young person willing to pay his dues and work hard enough to impress his boss. After that you could go any place and find work..........but you got to be good. You must be able to go to any marina and say "If its broken,I can fix it"