Get Texas title for Jet Ski, trade, no documents

highamperage

Cadet
Hello, I need some assistance.

I live in Texas and recently obtained a jet ski from someone off craiglist in exchange for an R/C boat. This jet ski does not have title, or any paper work to go with it. The person I obtained it from was fed up with the process and wanted out. I am more patient, and have more time? but I am wondering where I need to start.

Supposedly, the person I obtained the boat from obtained it for trade from someone else whom promised to mail the title, but failed to do so. Supposedly the there was a check done to see if it was stolen. Who knows. But anyway, to my knowledge there is not a bill of sale, and there is no title or registration, at least in anyone's possession that I know of.

Any suggestions to try?

The person previously in possession of the vehicle is willing to help, and I have out of state family that would be willing to help, if that makes any difference. They live in Washington state and I am thinking if it proves impossible to register the vehicle in Texas maybe I can have them register it in Washington and sell it to me?

Any info is helpful!

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Get Texas title for Jet Ski, trade, no documents

Take all the numbers to whoever tags boats in Texas, in Oklahoma it's a tag agent. Explain your situation and ask if they can run the numbers so you can get the original owner to provide the documentation you need. You may be able to get the information on line for all I know. I once sold a car to a Texan and he failed to transfer the title and had repair work done on it. The shop didn't have any trouble locating me in OKC. If the previous owner doesn't have the paperwork, they can usually file for a lost title. If they are just lazy, hit them with a storage charge and do it that way. Other states have different title requirements so not having the title may be a problem in Washington also. The only state I have bought a boat in that doesn't title them is Kansas. They just have registration. I failed to talk to the tag agent before I picked the boat up and it took me 6 months to get that mess straightened out.