Get,n on Plane!

arvo11

Cadet
Ok experts I need to tap some of your experience. I bought an old 1976 Starcraft 16ft aluminum semi-fee and have attempted to make MY idea of a great fishing boat of it. I stripped her down and reprinted her inside and out, installed a new floor and forward deck out of 3/4in marine grade plywood,and sealed it with an epoxy paint. I then installed an center console made of aluminum angle covered with 1/4in plywood and painted it. Next was a 45hp Mercury 1989 Classic 50 motor, Minn-Kota bow mount trolling motor, Anglers Pal rod holders, electronics (GPS,fish finder), starting battery and trolling battery, and one board charging system. Then I added all the fishing stuff, a 5gal bait tank, big cooler for fish(always an optimist), cooler for drinks, a bunch of rods, tackle boxes etc. Now the question, she runs 21mph according to the GPS and 5700rpm and almost makes it up on plane. She needs just a little something. What would yo guys suggest besides a bigger motor or leaving some of my stuff at home?? I was thinking maybe a whale tail? Do,they work?
Your suggestions will be appreciated.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Get,n on Plane!

I would think if its hitting 21 mph its on plane. And thats about all your going to get with a 45 hp.

kfa4303

Banned

HI arvo. Sounds like you've done everything right and a 45hp should get you on plane. I would suggest adjusting the height of the motor for starters. The anti-vent plate, located just above the prop, should be level or slightly higher than the keel of the boat. I'm not sure if you have trim and tilt, but you generally want to start with the motor trimmed IN to get on plane, then trim it out to achieve the best high end speed. If your TnT is fixed, you'll probably want it on the 2-3 hole out from the transom. Generally speaking, whale tales are kind of a gimmick. There's a reason manufacturers don't make/suggest them and you'll never see a professional boater/angler using one. However, there is a anecdotal evidence that they "work" for some set ups. You may also want to inspect the prop to be sure that it's not slipping. Perhaps the hub is spun, which is why you can get high rpms, but no bite.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe the nose is just too high and you think it's still in the hole? Try trimming the engine down if that's the case.

chriscraft254

Commander

Smart tabs. They will help any boat perform better. Regardless of how small the boat is.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

IMO the whale tail is a mask for other reasons the boat wont plane, there are a few things you can try already posted here. Moving some weight up front could change things too. Think weight distribution, and try to load the front of the boat. I have never seem or heard of a semi-fee style boat, I think you mean deep V or semi-V but a few pictures here should help others offer some solutions. I would take one of your outboard as it sits on the back, and then a side shot of the entire boat including the outboard, Perhaps one detailing the prop area regarding how high or low it sits at the bottom of the boat.

50 Hp seems like enough to get her up on plane but it depends how much weight you have added.
Pictures will really help\.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My family had two 16' starcrafts; one had a 55 and I think the other was 55 but maybe 70. They ran fine on a plane, but the hole shot was slow, so when getting a skiier up we'd just send everyone to the bow.

You are underpowered and overloaded, to get the performance you envision.

I wouldn't put trim tabs on that boat, and don't like whale tails either.

I suspect you are on a plane, just not level. move some weight forward or trim the motor down some.

arvo11

Cadet

First of all, thanks for the replys! You may be right, maybe I am on plane and don,t know it. I don,t care about the speed, 21mph is fine with me, but the bow,stays up and doesn't, come down even with the motor all the way down. We have tried distributing more of the load up front as well, and nothing seems to make any difference. I have messed with the trim while running at wot and that doesn't,t make any difference either. The wake, if that is the right term begins about a little more than half way back from the bow. All this is why i thought I was not up on plane. Btw, the motors anti- cav plate is almost even with the keel and the prop is ok. Sorry green bush, I intended to spell semi-v. Would a jack plate help by moving the motor back some? As far as pictures, if I can borrow my sons camera, i will,get some.
Thanks again guys for all the replies. Any more thoughts?

chriscraft254

Commander

First of all, thanks for the replys! You may be right, maybe I am on plane and don,t know it. I don,t care about the speed, 21mph is fine with me, but the bow,stays up and doesn't, come down even with the motor all the way down. We have tried distributing more of the load up front as well, and nothing seems to make any difference. I have messed with the trim while running at wot and that doesn't,t make any difference either. The wake, if that is the right term begins about a little more than half way back from the bow. All this is why i thought I was not up on plane. Btw, the motors anti- cav plate is almost even with the keel and the prop is ok. Sorry green bush, I intended to spell semi-v. Would a jack plate help by moving the motor back some? As far as pictures, if I can borrow my sons camera, i will,get some.
Thanks again guys for all the replies. Any more thoughts?

Jack plate may help some, but for the cost of a jack plate I bet you can get a set of smart tabs that will not only help get the bow down, but they will help with so much more performance wise. There cheap man and install in about a half an hour. You can go to there website and input your size boat, wieght, and hp and it will tell you the size you need. Part number SX9510-40 or St980-40 is my best guess. I prefer the stainless myself over the composites. Smart tabs were originally made for small boats and the navy uses them on there ribs as well.
Here is the link to there website - SMART TABS raise your performance expectations.

arvo11

Cadet

Thanks for the link on the tabs, sounds like just the thing I am looking for.

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

I used to have that same motor in the 45 hp 1989 Mariner version. It was on a 17 foot Duracraft v-Jon with 6 foot beam. It ran 33 mph with a sst 14 pitch prop, with two people, and would pull a skier at 29 mph. It was jacked up on the transom about 1 inch with a spacer. It looks like something is amiss here. Top end with that prop was 5250 rpm. I think the op needs a little more pitch, and some trimming.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

"an old 1976 Starcraft 16ft aluminum"

that is a little vague.
Could you be more specific on the vintage and model?
They made many different boat over the year ranging from narrow to wide, light to heavy, etc.

Is there a rating plate on the boat?
If so, what is the hp rating of the hull?

Is this tiller operated, or is there a steering wheel?

arvo11

Cadet

Well, I may have found the problem. Someone, (orig. owner) had installed a long bolt in the number two hole on the mounting frame that bolts on the transom and painted it black. With the motor in the down position, it could not be seen. I noticed it when I tilted the motor all the way up in the highest position. I have removed it and now the motor will go down two holes farther and is really trimmed IN. I will find out this weekend if it makes a difference? I will post the results.
Again, thanks to those that have posted.

kfa4303

Banned

Being able tot trim all the way IN should help you get on plane much more quickly. Good luck. Keep us posted.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would guess the old motor is just not able to push the boat around as good as it once may have. You may have wet foam under your floor, and that can add a bunch of extra weight to the boat. Have you checked the foam under your floor? Is the boat stored inside or out? covered/open? What is your prop like? All these can impact your performance "big time".
You already said the boat will go 21 MPH so maybe with the bolt out, and your outboard tucked in, it will change. Pictures really do help.

kfa4303

Banned

Good point greenbush. If there is water logged foam hiding somewhere that will definitely add a lot weight and a new/different/better prop may help as well.

Willyclay

Captain

she runs 21mph according to the GPS and 5700rpm and almost makes it up on plane.

How did you obtain the RPM reading? If that is accurate, the motor sounds healthy to me and I would look elsewhere for things that could negatively affect the overall performance like: 1. Deformed aft section of the hull, 2. Wet foam, 3. Engine mounting heigth, 4. Prop and 5. Weight distribution.

IMHO, add-on things like whaletails and trimtabs may help but there is still some underlying cause for the poor performance. Good luck!