Generator question here!!!!!

Eskort

Cadet
Wondering if there is a way to check if this generator is good or not. The reason I want to check it is because it doesnt have a belt on it, the local johnson dealer has one in stock but wants $70 for it. Before I spend $70 on a little belt, i would like to know if the generator works. How do I check this? Help is appreciated as I want to go tomorrow and get the belt if it works as they are closed sunday and monday. Thanks in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Generator question here!!!!!

Put a drill on the nut on top of the pulley and spin it up.

Eskort

Cadet

well i did that, but i only get like half a volt when i put my meter from one terminal to the case of the generator and the same on the other terminal. I have read that the old generators only put out a few volts at best. Is this normal? Is it worth me buying the belt?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I guess I have only checked them while they were wired in the system, put a volt meter on the battery, as long as i got a voltage increase I was good.

Eskort

Cadet

ok, well i have a wiring diagram for it, i will hook it up and get someone to run the drill and see if my voltage goes up i guess.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

ok, well i have a wiring diagram for it, i will hook it up and get someone to run the drill and see if my voltage goes up i guess.

Unless you have a helluva fast drill, that won't work. The ENGINE has to be running about 2000 rpm before the generator develops enough voltage to close the relay contacts in the voltage regulator. Because of the difference in pulley sizes, the generator has to be turning way faster then 2000 rpm to make it work.

So, here is the straight poop on checking the generator:

1. Disconnect the blue and yellow wires. Ground the small stud to the negative battery terminal. The generator case must also be grounded to the negative battery terminal.

2. Connect a jumper wire between the battery positive terminal and the larger stud on the generator. The generator should run slowly like a motor. If it does, it is working. That only means it is working right now. It doesn't mean it will work tomorrow (the brushes may be worn out).

That is only half the charging system. The rest is the wiring harnesses, junction box with voltage regulator, ammeter, etc. A voltage regulator is about $100. You cannot use a car regulator, so don't even try.

There are very few of us old geezers still around that understand DC generators.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Wondering if there is a way to check if this generator is good or not. The reason I want to check it is because it doesnt have a belt on it, the local johnson dealer has one in stock but wants $70 for it. Before I spend $70 on a little belt, i would like to know if the generator works. How do I check this? Help is appreciated as I want to go tomorrow and get the belt if it works as they are closed sunday and monday. Thanks in advance.

Is it not possible to get a belt somewhere else?.. Your heating/cooling supply store may have something that will work. I also know that they do make a "build'you' own belt" kit. I cant see spending 70 bucks on a belt that looks like the same one on an old vaccuum cleaner...

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

http://safetycentral.com/emfanbelkit.html check it out..20 bucks..

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ground the Field terminal (small stud) to the generator itself (ground). Attach a volt meter between the Armature terminal (large stud) and the generator (ground). Positive (red) lead attached to stud.

With a pulley attached to the generator, hold the pulley against a wire brush that is on a grind wheel (high rpm). Make sure that you are having the pulley rotate in the proper direction..... the volt meter should read a full 12 volts, possibly slightly more.

Eskort

Cadet

awesome, im gonna give it a try tomorrow. I am also going to go to my buddies at carquest auto and see if their goodyear belt book will show me something. Thanks for all the info guys.