Generator install on 1964 28hp johnson

fast_eddie

Cadet
I have a 1964 28hp johnson RX-12 and was looking at old model generators on ebay for it. It looks as though the generators back then took the place of the electric starter. Does this mean if I put a generator on it I am going to loose my electric starter capability.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Generator install on 1964 28hp johnson

Wrong. The starter sits on one side of the carburetor and the generator sits on the other side. They just look similar.

I would have to do some research to know for sure if the 28 will take a generator without a lot of grief (like a flywheel change). Just not sure without looking.

fast_eddie

Cadet

It looks like the flywheel has a spot for a belt or something up on the top portion of it. has like timing belt grooves. I thought maybe the generator was belt driven.

K.B

Seaman

Good evening!

You are correct about the grooves on the f'wheel. It does drive the generator. I have one on a '62 40 John. Don't use the motor but for parts. My e-mail address is listed I believe. If not reply back here and I'll tell more.

fast_eddie

Cadet

Good evening!

You are correct about the grooves on the f'wheel. It does drive the generator. I have one on a '62 40 John. Don't use the motor but for parts. My e-mail address is listed I believe. If not reply back here and I'll tell more.

I don't see an email for ya. Maybe you could send me a private message. I also see you live down south in tennessee. I live in michigan.

K.B

Seaman

Yep, right in the middle of w. tn.

Been busy w/ new granddaughter and trying to stay cool here. Latter is a tough act. e-mail kbrown@jaxnet.net.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1964 28hp johnson RX-12 and was looking at old model generators on ebay for it. It looks as though the generators back then took the place of the electric starter. Does this mean if I put a generator on it I am going to loose my electric starter capability.

These generators don't put out a whole lot.And only at something like 1500 or 2,000 rpm. I believe they require a separate regulator box.These motors don't require a battery to run only to start and you can do many many starts between charges.We used to run an inexpensive automotive battery 2 or 3 weeks between charges including running lights at night.If you are thinking of charging a trolling motor battery keep in mind it requires at least 2 hours charge for each hour of trolling motor use.