generator for 1964 johnson 28hp rx-12

fast_eddie

Cadet
Okay I bought this generator knowing that the model number on the generator was correct for my engine AutoLite GJG-4002m which is supposed to fit rx series motors, but I believe mine has the wrong pulley for this motor and need to know if I can get the correct pulley or even what the correct omc part number for the generator pulley would be for a 1964 rx-12. I got this generator off of ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=180112997024&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MT:31

And yes I know I paid a lot for this to not have it work.

Had generator worked on and tested. It's good just need the right pulley for my old johnson.

fast_eddie

Cadet
Re: generator for 1964 johnson 28hp rx-12

Anybody have anything. The omc pulley number off of a 1962 rx-10 or 1963 rx-11 should also be the same pulley as these motors are pretty much the same.

The pulley I have has the numbers 305682-4 cast on the bottom side of the pulley, which I figure is omc part number 305682. This is obviously not the part I need otherwise it would fit.

From what I see of some generators on ebay, the pulley on later models had a bigger bottom to them as to raise the teeth on the pulley to clear the starter gear on the flywheel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: generator for 1964 johnson 28hp rx-12

There are only two pulleys. The one for twins and the one for V-4s. I don't have the '64 parts book, but the '68 shows a pulley #305411. I wouldn't be surprised if the number has been changed from time to time. Still only two pulleys.

It is taller than the V-4 and is flared out at the top and uses a flange plate to keep the belt from jumping off. And yes, it is above the flywheel. The V-4 belt runs below the flywheel.

EDIT: I just went to the e-bay link and it plainly says that one is for a 50hp (V-4 Fat-Fifty)

Last edited: