General Question on Water Conditions

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I have a question, let's see how many of you can come up with the right theory/answer...<br /><br />Yesterday we got out to ski a couple of sets, and the wind prediction was SSE@8, with gusts of ESE@8... This mornings wind prediction was identical, yet the water was sweeeeeeeeeeet(er)... I think it's not all about the winds, but that the tide pattern has something to do with it... One of my buddies thinks tides have nothing to do with it... <br /><br />So three questions: <br /><br />1. Do the tides affect all bodies of water including inland lakes?<br /><br />2. What effect will the tide pattern actually have on the water from day to day?<br /><br />3. How can I predict the awesome water conditions based on wind and tide predictions?<br /><br />Thanks for any help you can offer.<br /><br />Adios from the Lone Star State...

D

DJ

Re: General Question on Water Conditions

TX,<br /><br />Yes, in theory, tides can change in a lake. Tides are caused by the pull of the moons gravity on a body of water. The gravity has the same effect on land, however the land does not move up and down like water can.<br /><br />In small lakes the effects of the moon would be negligible due to all sides of the lake being in the same area of effect of the moon. Thus, the ENTIRE lake level may change a minute amount.<br /><br />On a very large body of water, again in theory, the moon could be pulling up one end of the lake thus dropping the other end. As the moon passes, the water level would tend to flatten out over the entire area and cause a slight surge at was once the low end.<br /><br />Fisherman certainly understand the effects of the moon on fishing. The solunar tables are very important in predicting tides and fishing.

Fishbusters

Ensign
Re: General Question on Water Conditions

You answered yourself in your post. "WIND PREDICTIONS" in actual fact the wind may have been 10mph with gusts one day and 6mph with no gusts the next. Also the dirrection may have been slightly diffrent. Not enough for them to mark but from enough of an angle to affect conditions. <br />The tidal effect occurs even on a glass of water. Not measurable except in a lab but it happens. Tide may have something to do with it but keep in mind tides happen about every 6 hours (more but lets say 6) the diffrence is about 1 hr a day so there would not have been enough change especially on a smaller body of water to explaine the conditions.