General outdrive question

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally got my lower unit to seperate from my upper. Unfortunately, it did so in three pieces. The small crack I had, ended up propegating all the way through the casing. <br /><br />As I shop for a new upper outdrive (and maybe a lower, its pretty ugly too) I got a questions<br /><br />Where is the gear ration determined? In the upper? the lower ? or a combination.<br /><br />For example, I need a 1.98: 1 for my 110 Merc. If I wanted to replace the lower, would the lower from a V8 (if it was also pre-alpha and all that) just bolt right on as well?<br /><br />thanks in advance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: General outdrive question

The gear ratio is a combination of the upper and the lower.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, so I do need a 1.98:1 lower unit then if I am going to replace it?<br /><br />Best regards<br /><br />Ethan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, a V8 is usually around 1:4 to 1:5 to 1 ratio. Besides, I'm not sure if anything but a 1A,B,or C lower will work on that old a drive. I'm sure the housins are different for the MC1, R, MR, etc.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I thought that the ratios were determined by the upper and that all the lowers were the same?<br />I believe that all lowers are 1.65:1, and the gearing in the uppers determine the final ratio.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by FreeBeeTony:<br /> I thought that the ratios were determined by the upper and that all the lowers were the same?<br />I believe that all lowers are 1.65:1, and the gearing in the uppers determine the final ratio.
Exactly.......... ;) <br />
The gear ratio is a combination of the upper and the lower.
Of Course, This is Also True.............. :D <br /><br />Eggkr8,<br />The Only real chance you have at Up-dating that to the Mod.1/"R"/Pre-Alpha drive is to make your Swap as a Complete Outdrive........<br />When you start trying to swap uppers + lowers, you're going to get into a bunch of Spline count Problems.......<br /><br />Go to ebay,+ find yourself a drive for a 120/140hp merc., in 1.98/1 ratio.......<br />There's a Real Good chance that you can find a Good Servicable drive, Cheap......

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks All.<br /><br />Bondo, I am already all over ebay. I might've even found the proper upper outdrive! <br /><br />Thanks for the advise