Gelcoat repairs

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A minor mishap has left the rear port side of my boat with a series of relatively deep scratches and chips which I’d like to repair. I’ve tried some gelcoat repair in the past with limited success. For all you gelcoat experts out there, I need your advice.<br />These scratches are not all that thin but perhaps 1/16 “ wide. Do I widen them more and gouge out more gelcoat so I actual see the laminate underneath- or can I simply apply the gelcoat directly over them. I’ve repaired (with excellent results) some relatively deep scratches in the past by wet sanding the area. These new scratches seem borderline in depth.so what method would you guys use. Coloring the stuff is another thing. I know that the area should be compounded to get the true color of the boat. Does gelcoat get lighter or darker after it has dried? Any tips on how to prepare the stuff? I’ve got a jar of white gelcoat resin which is thin. From what I’ve read they suggest the paste- not resin. Could I simply thicken the resin?<br />What and where can I purchase thickening agents or should I ditch that idea.<br />I’m really eager to learn this art (I am a graphic designer by trade so a good looking boat is extremely important to me aesthetically) Thanks to all who responded.