gel coat crack along keel?

nilsson

Cadet
Hi, I've tried searching for similar faults on here but no luck, so here I am.<br />I've recently bought a 1986 Haines Signature 17.5 ft fibreglass runabout (Aussie brand), very nice but have found a potential drama.<br />For some weird reason, the two rear keel rollers on the trailer were lowered by a previous owner leaving the rear of the keel itself in mid-air. The weight was taken by the swivelling side rollers only. Out of curiosity, I looked closely under there and discovered a fine hairline crack about 2ft long on either side of the planked keel approx 2 ft forward of the transom (the transom itself is rock-solid). The keel on this boat is unusual I guess, as it consists of a flattened plank-like formation which protrudes about 1/2inch lower than the rest of the hull (improves planing and turning). The cracks run along a sharp 90deg bend as the hull meets the plank itself. This area is where most of the flexing occured while trailering with those rollers lowered. <br />Basically, would you guys think this is a minor, age related gelcoat-stress crack or major structural damage?. I understand the fibreglass structure is more flexible than the gelcoat itself. I did notice MINOR "hook" in the area too.<br />I hope I've explained my boat enough.<br />Please tell me its minor!!<br />Thanks in advance<br />Nilsson

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: gel coat crack along keel?

Hi Nilsson,<br /><br />If the cracks are really fine hairline I don't think you have a problem. I have a 1979 Haines 17C which is still as strong as the day it was made, my hull is the traditional deep V before they introduced the pad in the later models. I have some very fine hairline cracks that run along some of the strakes on the hull, these tend to correspond where the the stringers are in the hull, they have been there for at least 10 to 15 years and never got any worse. Your cracks may not correspond with stringers but because of the pad shape it may have a slightly different flex rate to the surrounding hull area.<br /><br /> Do you have any water leaking into the inner hull when in the water? I check mine every trip, pull the bottom plugs and tip it right up at home before washing down, flat out getting a drop of water out. Being unsupported on the rear rollers is not good but if it was not trailered long distances it may not have caused any problems, those old Haines are very strong boats.<br /><br />Bob

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't know your boat so will leave comments on the hairline crack to others. Having said that I do have a comment on the "hook." It may have an effect on handling which you may be able to compensate for. But having a Hook in the hull will have a big effect on the value should you decide to sell it. Most boaters with any degree of knowledge will avoid a boat with a Hook in it like the plague. For this reason I wouldn't put much money into it and if you get an offer to buy it - - - -

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Nilsson,<br /><br />After my earlier reply to your post I have been trying to remember what a 19ft Haines that belonged to a friend of a friend was like. Similar vintage made by John Haines when he launched the Signature range after the original company had been sold to Japanese (I think) interests.<br /><br />I vaguely remember it had some minor kick down (hook) in the pad only, not in the hull area, this was something to do with slightly counteracting the lift on the bow caused by the pad giving greater lift than the deep V. Why don't you ask around, even some of the long term dealers or f/glass repairers would have a better recollection than I do (only went fishing in it once), after all I'm sure it was made in the Brisbane area or maybe the Gold Coast, the old factory went under water during the Brisbane flood<br />Bob

nilsson

Cadet

Boating Bob and solittle<br /><br />Showed her to a fibreglass expert today who told me not to worry as like you said Bob, Haines's are as tough as nails. He's seen wilder damage and they still hold together. The hook near the rollers is BARELY noticable and yep, you got it Bob, the rear of the pad does have a slight downwards curve.<br />She doesnt take on water either<br />Thanks guys for your input, I have decided to just leave it for now but will keep my eyes open.<br /><br />nilsson