gearcase still oozing fluid,,,

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice
I removed my gearcase and replaced all the seals<br />I could see in my parts diagram. I pressure tested it and it held air. I reinstalled the gearcase and ran it in a barrel of water. I could begin to see the grayish blobs floating on the surface of the water. I shut her down and sure enough there was grayish/ greenish fluid oozing out of the small lower drain hole. Dang! :( <br />It looks like its back to the drawing board for me. This leak is sucking the life out of me, and cutting in on my holiday free time (boating).Anyone have a suggestion?

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: gearcase still oozing fluid,,,

SUPER GLUE! just kidding james. If it were mine, I'd concider it though! But seriously, there has to be some sorta seal for this, or perhaps the housing has corroded a pinhole in it???? Im not sure what to think.

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kind of enigine is it? I have a 67 rude and it has a whole similar to what your describing. i did the same thing your doing now when my guy at the marina explained to me that is was exaust residue and gas that wasnt burned off. It's supposed to be there other wise the crap wouldnt haev anywhere else to go but inside your engine. i wouldnt go filling anything with super glue.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Did you replace the drain/fill plug seals?

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ranger01, I was only kidding about the super glue! Actually I'd use a SS screw with a rubber gromet! lol. But I saw the pictures james posted and this sure is NOT some exhaust residue. It is gear lube that really is just oozing out the small pinhole on the side of LU. Like I said, theres gotta be some sort of seal the oil is passing by. Look back about a week and see if you can find the post with the pictures. Then when you see it, you can see what it is & where its comming from.

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ranger01, go back a page about 1/4 way down to see post with pictures. Heres the headder<br /><br /> "1969 40HP Evin lower drive oozing fluid" james95 7 July 28, 2005 01:42 PM <br /><br />I'm not PC wizard so i don't know how to get the pictures from there to here.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Is the lower unit fluid contaminated? IE, are you sure it's leaking and it's not just unburnt fuel/oil from the exhaust?

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

I drained the gearcase oil. It maintained its color however it was a little cloudy. I poured what I had drained back into the container that I used in the beginning to filled it with and found<br />that I had approx 1/2 the fluid remaining. So it must be getting out somewhere. I did another pressure test with air (10-15psi) and submerged in water. Not one single bubble...Does the gearcase pressurize itself when running? Could it be venting oil from being too full? I'm baffled.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know if it is intentionally pressurized, but anytime something heats up in a closed space, the substance heating up expands, therefore creating pressure.<br /><br />John

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is possible to over tighten the screw which would cause the rubber seal to be squeezed out allowing fluid to escape. Is it possible you may be over tightening it?<br /><br />John

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

this begins to leak fluid right away. while running the engine in a barrel of water in neutral it begins to show signs of oil leakage along the surface of the water. I continued to run it shifting gears fron fwd to rvs and back to neutral. shut it down after 5 or 10 minutes, empty the water from the barrel and find this grayish greenish foamy goo oozing from the small lower drain hole. I dont know where to go from here.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you tried a new drain screw and seal? Try the easiest fixes first. It does not make sense though, that it is able to hold air, but not lubricant.<br /><br />Are the threads on the lower unit in good shape?

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The screw in the lower drain

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

I have replaced both drain and fill seals... and the screws and their threads are in good condition.I have also replaced the shift rod gasket and seal...the bushing was in good shape so i reused it (its just a solid piece of brass). I have also replaced the lower drive shaft seal just under the impellor-which I have also replaced along with impeller housing and housing seal. Internally there is only two possible areas to leak fluid. around drive shaft and shift rod.

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

You know what...I am going to take her out to the lake tomorrow and run her for 4 hours. At the end of the day I will pop the drain plug and see what the fluid is doing...if she has'nt dissentigrated by then. If the fluid is good then it must just be the after burn of fuel and 2 cycle motor oil from an old girl hanging on to life.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In your first post, you said the small lower drain hole, you are referring to the lower unit drain screw, right? <br /><br />No dirt or anything else that could have gotten lodged between the screw and the seal, or the seal and the lower unit?<br /><br />It does not sound that difficult, but with that said, I am clueless.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi James.<br /><br />I'm not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but what kind of oil are you using? If you use a non-Hypoid, there is a chance that you'll have problems with foaming. Could it be the wrong lube in there?