Gearcase lube ??

Cortes165

Seaman
'91 Evinrude VE100SLEIE.....What weight of oil should I put in the gearcase??? (e. 75W, 80/90, etc). Is it normal gearoil or special for outboards?? My manual does not specify this info.<br />Also, here's some trivia that i am curious on. The original manual that came with this engine covers 90/100/115 hp engines. The 100's listed in the manual are 100STL and 100TL/TX. Are these the same as mine????? Are there actually different performance levels of the 100 or are these numbers just for looks??? The number above is off the engine tag and the eng cover has a decal scheme of 100XP. :D

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gearcase lube ??

gear oil = ultra hpf (high performance formula)<br />or omc hi-vis p.s. your moter is a 1990

Cortes165

Seaman

so is this lube different than normal gearlube?? Like the stuff i use in my car or other toys. I hate to go buy a jug with a boat picture on it, when the oil I have in the garage does the same thing.

Crossflow235

Cadet

The HPF is the best. Merc also has their own blend. I asked the same question when I went to change the oil in my L.U. the first time. the dealer explined the the HPF has additives the help resist oil break down if L.U. is contaminated with water, plus it also helps improve shifing as well. Thickness of oil isnt same as auto gear lube.<br /><br />There are other features this oil has I cant remeber. Much better than standard gear oil.<br /><br />It is expensive, but take a look at how much a new lower unit is and it will help you feel a litte better about shelling out the cash.<br /><br />When I change lube I also pressure test L.U. to ensure seals are ok.<br /><br />Good luck, SRP71

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm with srp71 here, 'Outboard' gearcase lubes are supposed to contain emulsifiers (surfactants) to hold any water intrusion in suspension to prevent corrosion in the lower unit should a seal be breached. If you search this sight, most often you hear about people draining 'milky' oil rather than 'a bunch of water first'.<br />I guess you could probably try mixing some TSP with your gear oil, but I would rather let the oil company do the chemistry... :D <br />HiVis is roughly 90W. If you want to save a buck, buy it (outboard stuff) at WalMart.

Cortes165

Seaman

thanks for the replys. Looks like the marine gear lube is the winner. I'm glad i asked.

BillP

Captain

Water separates out of outboard lube too. Let milky ob lube sit an hour or two and pull the plug...water first and then oil. At least OMC, Merc and Lubriplate brands do.