gearbox disassembly?

slolorus1

Cadet
I am trying to get my 125 gearbox apart. Does anyone know how. I can't seem to find anyone that knows. Everyone knows where the clutch dog is but no one knows how to get to it. PLEASE HELP.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: gearbox disassembly?

Do you have a manual? It's a must read.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will definitely need a manual. Buy a Clymer for your year of engine.

slolorus1

Cadet

I have ordered a manual, guess I'll just wait till it gets here. I thought maybe someone could tell me the basics.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Disassembly basics while you are waiting for the manual: Drain oil. Take off propeller. Remove two screws holding on anti-corrosion anode behind propeller. Remove four screws holding spool inside case. Don't lose O-rings behind washers. Buy new ones for re-assembly. Make a puller out of 1/4 all thread to pull out spool. Remove the two half rings holding in the reverse gear carrier. Use 5/16 all thread to pull out carrier. Pull out drive shaft, reverse gear, and dog clutch as an assembly. Brass yoke for shifting may fall off the shift shaft. If so, fish it out from behind the forward gear.

slolorus1

Cadet

Awesome now we're getting somewhere. So the driveshaft(the long one that connects to the engine) does not need to come out? Thank you for your help. I was about to use a puller to get the spool out but wasn't sure that was the right order of operations.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sorry! Meant to write Prop Shaft with rear gear and dog clutch. Only time you need to remove the drive shaft is if you need to remove the pinion to remove the forward gear. Forward gear will not come out with pinion and drive shaft in place.

slolorus1

Cadet

Good info! I'm going to give it a shot now. Thanks again.