Gear shifting issue evinrude 70

High_flyerrr

Cadet
OK so here’s what I got going on. When I have the boat out of water, I start it up and put it in forward, The prop engages in everything works fine. Today I Put it in water for the first time and as soon as I go put it in drive it doesn’t do it and it just keeps clicking but reverse works fine. If I grab on the shift lever and pull it back, it will go into drive, but I can’t throttle more than 1500 RPMs without it wanting to jump back out of gear. My guess is they won’t go into drive anymore now that the prop has resistance from the water. Maybe a lose cable?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Better get a factory service manual for your motor and follow it carefully or....you might wind up with an anchor.

High_flyerrr

Cadet
Just learned that’s it’s the clutch dog. Waiting to hear back on a price for a full rebuild on the lower unit

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Likely set you back about $1000 or more.-----You did try to set shift rod height I hope.-----How did you determine that clutch dog is bad ?

High_flyerrr

Cadet
Likely set you back about $1000 or more.-----You did try to set shift rod height I hope.-----How did you determine that clutch dog is bad ?
I set the shift rod and it engages but at 3000 rpm it skips/clunks out then back in gear and brought it to boat yard today and determined clutch dog. They working on estimate tomorrow morning. I’m expecting 1000-1300. The rebuild kit is 550 plus 100 an hour in labor

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If its the original clutch dog it can be reversed and it will run just fine. You MAY have reverse problems, but you don't go fast in reverse anyway.

No parts needed so a $150 job. You may need a new mechanic.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # of the motor is needed.----Are you sure that you can turn these clutch dogs around ??----I thought they were clearly marked with ----" prop end " ----stamped on them.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Model # of the motor is needed.----Are you sure that you can turn these clutch dogs around ??----I thought they were clearly marked with ----" prop end " ----stamped on them.
I currently have 2 Evinrudes in my collection that had forward problems that were fixed with a turn around. Granted they were not 70's. Maybe some more research is required. Regardless, mechanics are famous for charging thru the nose.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just did a cursory internet search. Clutch dogs parts cost $112.

That's the problem. Not many mechanics around willing to work on old motors, so they can charge what they want.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's why I always order my own parts whether it for a boat motor or my vehicles. They mark up is crazy that mechanics put on parts. You would think they would be happy making a $100 plus a hour.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Note-----There are fewer and fewer mechanics around.----------And will these big $$$ EV cars be fixable or a throwaway item ??

High_flyerrr

Cadet
If its the original clutch dog it can be reversed and it will run just fine. You MAY have reverse problems, but you don't go fast in reverse anyway.

No parts needed so a $150 job. You may need a new mechanic.
I don’t believe in too much Jerry rigging. If We’re going to pull the lower unit apart. It would make sense to do the whole thing ,money isn’t an issue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water pump kit.----Seal kit.----Gears , clutch and labor.----It adds up quickly.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don’t believe in too much Jerry rigging. If We’re going to pull the lower unit apart. It would make sense to do the whole thing ,money isn’t an issue.
I don't jury rig either, nor is money a major concern. If it was I wouldn't be inundated with old iron.

I have a dozen or so marinas in my area. Not a single one will work on an older 2-stroke motor. However, I am blessed in that a major Marine business that works exclusively on oldies is right down the street from me. He also has a huge internet presence and sells old parts world wide. He is my trusted mechanic.

When my old 'Rude had the clutch dog go he couldn't find a NOS part, only a few used ones. He turned mine around and it has been running fine for the last 6 years. It has been my understanding that this is a very common practice.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On the 1960 to 1970 models of 40 HP you could even take the reverse gear and use it for forward.------Had to change the bushing.-----Not so simple on newer motors.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
On the 1960 to 1970 models of 40 HP you could even take the reverse gear and use it for forward.------Had to change the bushing.-----Not so simple on newer motors.
We did that on a 57 35hp back in 1972, one evening at the Lake, when the Clutch Dog and the Tapered Bearing in front of the Forward Gear, were both chewed up. One front wheel bearing, gear swap and Clutch Dog turnaround, and we were back on the water. I remember my dad and his cousin swapping the Bushings, after seeing they were not the same. Once back home it was taken apart again, this time it got new Gears, Pinion, Clutch Dog, and Bearings

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those old 40 HP lower units were durable.-----Precision parts.----Therefor no shimming required.-----Easy to fix.------But they do not look " modern " enuff for some folks.