Gear shift problems / clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

txrdb

Cadet
1976 888 Mercruiser I/O. Recently replaced water pump impeller and exhaust bellows. Upon reassembly of outdrive onto boat, I've noticed the following: 1) Engine off, boat out of water, in reverse gear - I can rotate prop in both directions by hand (it should be locked in one direction). It makes a clicking noise upon rotation both directions. 2) Engine off in neutral - When spinning the prop by hand, a distinct clicking sound is heard, like the clutch dogs are trying to engage. I can move the throttle back and forth a few times and sometimes the prop will spin freely (no clicking) 3) Engine on, when bringing throttle back to idle from foward, the same clicking can be felt in the throttle lever. <br />Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks Rich

txrdb

Cadet
Re: Gear shift problems / clicking noise

Trent...Thanks for your input. I pretty much figured the same thing, just takes me a little longer. One more question...Isn't there supposed to be a flat washer placed over the shift shaft before mating upper and lower halves of outdrive?<br />Another way to ask the same question...how far into the cup slot (on upper unit) should the brass connector for the shift shaft sit? All the way into the cup? I think there was a missing washer in my unit as the brass connector sits on the lower edge of the cup slot. Thanks again Rich

Trent

Captain
Re: Gear shift problems / clicking noise

Sounds like you let the shift shaft slip when re-installing the lower unit. To check your going to have to drop it again.<br /><br />Turn shift shaft, in front of drive, clockwise, while applying pressure to the prop counter clockwise. The shift shaft should lock facing forward. Using two people, carefully the lift drive back up, line up copper tube into plastic tube.<br /><br /> Line up the studs and lift gently, this is where the shifting shaft must be aligned.<br /><br />As soon as the brass connector for the shift shaft reaches the splined shaft in the lower unit, use it as a tool.<br /><br />Turn the shift shaft with brass piece clockwise and continue to apply pressure to the prop counter clockwise, when it stops it must be facing forward (towards the bow).<br /><br />If the point of brass shift arm is not pointing forward, (when it turned), lift it and change its position on the splines. <br /><br />At this point apply a greater force to the prop counter clockwise to turn drive shaft, as you lift the drive. Continue this until splines on drive line up and the lower unit seats into the upper drive unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.