Gear ratio question (1.47 v 1.62 v 1.81)

davlafont

Cadet
Q: What conditions would warrant one gear ratio over the other? Or put another way, what might cause a shop to use a certain ratio when assembling a boat for sale (1.47 vs. 1.62 vs. 1.81)?

This question is more for my own education than it is for solving a problem. I don?t know what ratio we have (I?m working to get that info) and before I replace the current 14.5 x 21P prop, I want to make sure it has any business being there in the first place. According to the Merc Prop Selection Tool/site, no combination of conditions/answers for the 1.47 or 1.62 ratios leads to a 21P recommendation. Under certain conditions, 21P could be appropriate for the 1.81 ratio.

Background:
Our prop is chewed up and we plan to replace it with a like prop before beginning the process of ?dialing in? what prop suits our needs; I want to start with a fresh prop as the boat was delivered and baseline its performance. But based on the boat?s behavior last weekend, it very much feels overpropped for skiing and towing with the whole family aboard and a cooler full of beverages. (It doesn?t help matters that the tach is suddenly not working. Of course... that?s because I had planned to make note of the RPMs at WOT).

So I?m curious about gear ratio theory because I know no one here can tell me what I have (I have my 75-year old dad getting into the water two states away to look at the outdrive and attempt to find the ratio marking). But if anyone can tell me what the common practices are regarding how these powertrains are assembled, it might help me better understand why there is a 14.5 x 21P prop on there now.

Boat details:
2003 Bayliner 205BR
Merc 5.0 liter carbureted V8
Merc Alpha one sterndrive, gear ratio unknown!, 14.5 x 21P 3-blade alu prop

Last edited:

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Gear ratio question (1.62 v 1.81)

Re: Gear ratio question (1.62 v 1.81)

It is probably a 1.5/1.47 ratio. Non-vortec 5.0L had a 1.62 ratio, but most vortecs, like yours, had 1.51.47. It takes 1.5 engine revolutions to turn the prop one revolution. A 21" pitch prop may be too much for your boat and a heavy load, and water toys. Fix the tach, and get another reading. Contact Bayliner, but the stock prop was probably a 21" pitch. That info use to be available in the parts manuals on their website. Not sure if they still post it. A 19" pitch might be better for your loads. Just watch the upper rpms.

davlafont

Cadet
Re: Gear ratio question (1.47 v 1.62 v 1.81)

I see that I overlooked the 1.5 (1.47) option in the Prop selector menu. Of course, those pitch numbers are even lower.

Vortec = Multi-port Fuel Injection (MPI)? I'm pretty certain our engine is carburated. I would NOT be surprised if the engine is older than the model year of the boat (which is not the same as when the boat was purchased...)

Or does Vortec = combustion chamber swirl design? I used to know about cars ages ago...

davlafont

Cadet

latest news... the drive is certainly marked 1.47R.

My dad now recalls that the prop has been replaced in the past. He said he brought it to the marina, gave them money, and grunted "make boat go good." I guess they heard, "reduce your inventory in a way that will enhance your business best."

seesh...

John_S

Rear Admiral

Vortec = Multi-port Fuel Injection (MPI)? I'm pretty certain our engine is carburated. I would NOT be surprised if the engine is older than the model year of the boat (which is not the same as when the boat was purchased...)

No, vortec heads in the 305 came in both the injected and carbed, from '98. It would be unusual for the mfg to install a 5 year old motor. If you think the motor has been replaced with an earlier vintage one, count the intake manifold mounting bolts. 8=vortec, 12=standard heads. If it was replaced with older, unlikely they would have changed the ratio in the drive.

A boat test review which has a 21" pitch prop:
http://www.boattest.com/oem/boat-test-oem.aspx?id=426&lp_id=354&p=0#OverView

davlafont

Cadet

Ok, now I remember that Vortec was a head thing. Vortec, Zetec, V-Tec... so many catchy names, so little room in my head.

Thanks for the feedback and the link.