Gear oil lower shift shaft

Nuggets55

Cadet
I assume this is a leak but would be great to get some expert advice. The lower shift shaft has gear oil coming out as seen in the pic, this cannot be normal right? I know I have a leak in the lower unit, as gear oil was milky, and I pressured tested the unit and lost 5lbs of pressure over 2 hours. I should note that it doesn't appear to be visibly leaking air out of this spot if I spray soapy water there. But I cannot find any other spot it could be leaking either.

I am going to do an impeller housing kit replacement and want to make sure I get everything done while I am in there. I assume I should replace the bushing assembly as well?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_183510.jpg
    IMG_20220314_183510.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220309_191324.jpg
    IMG_20220309_191324.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yep, that's a leaking seal. Yes, replace bushing with seal (comes as one).

Chris.......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
seal only 18-2006 / 26-89236
complete asembly 23-815921A21 / sie 18-2353

j cat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I assume this is a leak but would be great to get some expert advice. The lower shift shaft has gear oil coming out as seen in the pic, this cannot be normal right? I know I have a leak in the lower unit, as gear oil was milky, and I pressured tested the unit and lost 5lbs of pressure over 2 hours. I should note that it doesn't appear to be visibly leaking air out of this spot if I spray soapy water there. But I cannot find any other spot it could be leaking either.

I am going to do an impeller housing kit replacement and want to make sure I get everything done while I am in there. I assume I should replace the bushing assembly as well?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
remove the oil then I put 10psi in it ...I was testing the out drive the O ring had a leak on the upper/lower surface.. looks like your picture had gear oil and had oil in it so it has a oil leak on the shift lever. I used dish soap to see the air bubbles ..
use the low engine oil 5-30wt to flush out the outdrive remove the top cap fill it up , keep it a few minutes then remove the lower drain plug ..
then if the drain oil looks good then install the gear oil...